CBR1100XX.org Forum

Where to get tools?

Chewtoy

Can someone direct me to where I can get the correct tools to work on the castellated nuts on the swingarm / rear engine mount?

Also, do I need a 15mm allen wrench for that swingarm bolt?

Gracias!

I think it's a 14mm. You can cheat by buying a bolt whose head is 14mm and double-nutting it (huh huh). I found a 17mm and a 12mm hex key at Sears, but nothing in between. A tool truck might have something (Matco/Snap-On/Cornwell/Whatever).

I'm not sure where to buy Honda tools. Service Honda won't sell them, last I checked. The service manual calls it a "swingarm pivot removal tool" or something like that and part number for it is 07909-4690003. I'm inclined to go buy a cheap socket and take a dremel to it, myself. Probably less trouble when it's all said and done.

I bought my swingarm pivot tool at the local dealer, just walked in with a part number and they ordered it. Yes, you can make one yourself out of the appropriately sized socket, but you won't be able to torque the whole assembly properly. Manual calls for holding one nut while torquing the other (on the same side), can't do that with a notched out socket.

I think it's a 14mm. You can cheat by buying a bolt whose head is 14mm and double-nutting it (huh huh). I found a 17mm and a 12mm hex key at Sears, but nothing in between. A tool truck might have something (Matco/Snap-On/Cornwell/Whatever).

I'm not sure where to buy Honda tools. Service Honda won't sell them, last I checked. The service manual calls it a "swingarm pivot removal tool" or something like that and part number for it is 07909-4690003. I'm inclined to go buy a cheap socket and take a dremel to it, myself. Probably less trouble when it's all said and done.

Thanks, I've sent an e-mail to hondapartsdirect to see if they can/will cough one up.

I think Schnitz racing sell the "sockets" you are describing. I need them for the front axle on my ZX.

Thanks for the tip. Jeez, they want a ton for them. I might be better off buying one on ebay UK.

Special tools suck!