CBR1100XX.org Forum

Single Sided Swing Arm (Question)

Speed99

Rick,

Here is a UK company that makes some great arms. I have also seen them for the XX, but I can't remember where. If your going for the Streetfighter look, you should grab the magazine for some ideas. There are ads for custom bike stuff all through it. J

http://www.streetfighters-usa.com/metmachex.htm

Damn, you're just full of great ideas, Rick. :wink: I like the way you think. :grin: I was going to keep this to myself to avoid the lambasting, but since you asked, I feel compelled to share what little knowledge I have gained on the subject so far.......

Don't take this for gospel.....this is just what I've found on the internet from complete strangers and through some experimentation. I have a friend in the used parts biz, so I get to "try them before I buy them". I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go to his shop. :grin: .........without a dime in his pocket :sad:

A VFR swingarm will fit, but not as a simple bolt-on........yet.

True that the 800 swingarm is mounted to the engine, but the '90-'97 750's are mounted to the frame. The problem with fitting a SSS from the VFR is that all years have the shock mounted left of center. '90-'92 have a different shock linkage that isn't worth modification, so that leaves us with the '93-'97's, but still the problem of the offset.

I'm working on the idea of a dogbone that might allow it to be a "bolt on" situation, but I haven't had the parts in hand long enough to get that far.....or much time to play as I'd hoped.

There is still the issue of the top mount, which is just a hole in the frame, but it interferes with the left tank bolt. I suppose one bolt would hold the tank, but I don't like to take shortcuts like that. I'll figure something out.

Also, since the rear caliper is a dual piston with a single inlet, you will need to de-link your brakes.........or at least partially de-link. (which I'm researching due to a limited budget.)

I'll keep you posted on my findings as I progress. I'm hoping by spring that I'll have the swingarm and exhaust finished, but am not making any permanent modifications to the bike. If it's not done by spring, it's going back to stock until next winter. I'm not giving up riding for this.......and I want it to be reversable at any time.

Alright then, the cat's outta the bag. Now, let the flames begin......... :shock:

• 8 months later...