CBR1100XX.org Forum

fooking bent helibar

matthend

Just got back from trailering mine and my fathers bikes to north carolina and back. I unload my bike to discover the right helibar now sits about 1.5 inches lower! I have throttlemeister bar ends, so maybe that contributed. I coudn't have overtightened one side because the bike was upright on the trailer, and I was concerned about over compressing my forks. Can I bend it back up with a fence pole or something, or is it ruined structurally now? Thanks guys, I am so pissed I can't see straight!!

Structurally, it'll be just fine. Aesthetically, all bets are off. The Canyon Dancer is just for minimizing the side-to-side motion. The real heavy work should be done elsewhere. I, myself, use an LA Chock as the primary restraint. Two straps from the forks at the top of the fender to the front-sides, two straps from the exhaust hangers to the rear-sides, and one strap anchoring the rear wheel so it doesn't bounce -- all of that just keeps it from bouncing out of the chock. But, then again, I've been accused of overdoing it.

Odd. I had CD's on my Bird with Helis from Michigan to Nexxt. No bending. Not sure what to say other than check with Heli and see what they say.

I got sick of the canyon dancer messing up my grips. I went with soft loops around the forks just above the lower triple tree. I also use a Baxley or condor chock to help stabilize the bike.

I have a friend who's BMW K1200RS had a bar bend from a canyon dancer.

I have thousands of miles transporting the XX, my 600 track bike and my 750. I have never had a issue with anything bending. The grips will move sometimes, but I cut some pieces of soft plastic tubing to go over the grips before putting on the CD, never had a grip issue after that.

I should clarify. I bought the "new improved" more expensive CD. It has plastic cylinders that go over the bar ends, presumably to keep from messing with peoples grips. The problem with that is it puts all of the pressure on the very end of the bar instead of spreading the force across the entire grip. My throttlemeister bar end probably didn't help because it moved the point taking that force further out. Calling them and raising hell when I get a free minute. Will update with wht they say

so i talked to Kent, the owner of canyon dancer. First off, UBER COOL GUY. He was out of town on a ride with about 120 other bikes, but called me. I explained the situation, and he told me to call heli bars and see if they can send me one side. If not he willl get me both sides on his dime. I told him i was talked into the newer ones, and he was surprised because he sells both for the same exact cost. He told me to take them to cycle gear and if they give me shit let him know and he will send me a set. He hinted around that he has one he will be able to talk about mid july, as it is in the patent process. Let me RECOMMEND THEM VERY HIGHLY!! KENT IS A STAND UP GUY AND UNDERSTANDS CUSTOMER SERVICE

I still don't think that it was the Canyon Dancer as I know of so many people that uses them including myself. Must have been weak Heli bars. Good customer service is a great thing.

Black, which one do you use? The original or the "bar harness 2"?

I agree with Blackhawkxx, You should be calling and getting a replacement from Heli not Canyon Dancer

The CD did its job perfectly and the Heli Bars faired

That is good to know about CD but I think it is taking advantage of a good companys customer service to fix a problem that was not their fault or responsibility.

Raise hell with Heli and explain what CD is willing to do as a helpful service

Black, which one do you use? The original or the "bar harness 2"?

I use the original (bought before the "2" came out) but I put PVC pipe over the grips so the CD don't pull on the grips. Doing that pretty much acts like your "2" dancer. But like I said, I know many people who use the original weekly without bending bars. Matter of fact, this is the first time that I have ever heard of it.

I am not defending Heli-bar, but the instructions included with the new set I purchased for my Blackbird specifically stated DO NOT tie the bike down by the bars. That being said I have done it on occasion for a short distance with no ill effect but normally I tie down at the lower triple clamp.

Mr. Mike.

It does sound like you used the CD improperly. Great customer service. I have a CD and strapped down an ST1100 with helibars with no problem.

As others have said, get a wheel chock. I've got a Bike-Grab and it holds a bike perfectly without having to tie anything to the bars or compress the forks.

yeah, josh that would have been ideal as I was going from Louisville to Sunset Beach NC (Smokies!!!) Unfortunately, the wife would have had to ride in the cage with the kids the entire way, and would have been plotting my death by the end of the trip...

I have heard of CD's bending Heli's but never saw any. Since the Heli's have a bend upward, I wonder how they would do as an attachment point for soft hooks.

Too far in? Maybe some of those soft covers for the straps.

Adding length to the bars (throttlemiesters) will dramatically increase the leverage at the weld.

I'm curious, what bent? The handlebar part or the curved part?

As had been mentioned:

A) use a wheel chock. You can even build one out of scrap 2x4s if ya need one quickly/on the cheap

B) do the real strapping by running the straps over the front fender mounts. This is MUCH more solid since it is below the point of suspension travel - you can ratchet that sucker into the chock until the bike is 100% immovable - no affect on the suspension, fork seals, etc.

Next, throw those Canyon Dancers away - unnecessary when ya strap a bike down properly, trust me... :icon_evilgrin: I can see how they could bend bars, especially when folk are using them as the primary anchor... :icon_whistle:

Frankly, I always wondered why people always try to run straps to the bars. Above the fender mounts (if you have conventional forks and the clearance to do so), or the upper or lower triple on a naked/dirt-bike make significantly better attachment points.

So I talked to Helibars, the were not the most friendly in the world. According to them, they are going out of their way to send me a new set of bars ON KENT's DIME (at dealer pricing). I am sending my old bars to him for a little R&D stress testing. I will take pics of the old and new together when I switch them out. Speaking of which, how involved is it to change them? Can I just remove the switchgear and change them one at a time? Anything I need to watch out for? Also, Mods can I change the title to just fooking helibars bent? Dont want to bash the CD at all after the customer service he has given me