CBR1100XX.org Forum

carbon kevlar

cbrxxquad

I had this great idea, that turned out to be a bad idea. I thought that I could overlay some red silver carbon kevlar over the body work and have some really cool looking shit.

Read up on all the stuff, and thought I could do it. Found the stuff I needed and the week end before Ozarxx started to do it.

Bout four hours into it and with some helpin from Vic, I was humbled. And really thinking I should just take it off and clean it up. Wish I had. But, no.

Without going into it and all the work that it caused to undo all the damage, I thought you guys would get a big kick out of how bad it really looked.DSC04029.jpg

DSC04030.jpg

DSC04031.jpg

DSC04032.jpg

DSC04033.jpg

epic fail

did you vaccum bag it

use one big ass piece of the carbon (if possible) and work it around the corners and such, cut it and fold it into the intake and so on.. vaccum bag it and let it cure and then clean up the over hang and edge on the inside of the nose piece.

I love playing with carbon mat and fiberglass back in the day. (except for everyone with a boat or surboard wanting me to fix shit.

did you vaccum bag it

use one big ass piece of the carbon (if possible) and work it around the corners and such, cut it and fold it into the intake and so on.. vaccum bag it and let it cure and then clean up the over hang and edge on the inside of the nose piece.

I love playing with carbon mat and fiberglass back in the day. (except for everyone with a boat or surboard wanting me to fix shit.

I had two problems, One was being able to measure the proper amount of epoxy, to the gram.And the weave of the carbon kevlar did not bend around corners well enough. And when wet and attempting to apply it stretched and would not fit then. So at least three major problems. I used an overlay of plastic to wrap and seal because vacunm baging was not possible with the shape. At least as far as I could see.

And getting that epoxy off after it set, well it was not pretty.

kudos to you if you could do it. I hae done a lot of fiberglass and I have a lot of practice to get this like I want.

I wanna see.... I wanna see! I am not able to see a link or picture in either firefox or IE. Can you repost the link to the pictures?

I wanna see.... I wanna see! I am not able to see a link or picture in either firefox or IE. Can you repost the link to the pictures?

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh231/t...ge/DSC04033.jpg

try here Kelly

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh231/t...quad%20storage/

it certainly is a fun challenge with all the turns and bends.

I have made some pretty weird things back when I use to work at a fiberglass shop.

When doing carbon fiber like you are for apperance you need to be having a good day. If you are not into it that day it can piss you off in .002 seconds.

now you got me thinking about some other ways to try it. Might be possible to contact some companies and see if they will share a few tips.

oh how I love the smell of methyl ethyl ketone peroxide in the morning...

You know..........,

It's really not bad looking.......................

.............................for a Pinata!! :icon_twisted:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pi%C3%B1ata

Seriously though, having worked a bit with fiberglass mat, coremat, and gelcoat on some pet projects in the distant past, you certainly have undertaken one tough and aggravating project to get perfect, for sure.

I think it would look pretty cool on an exhaust can. :icon_cool:

Funny guy!!!

Notice I did not post that?

Have not give up on them yet. Might still work.

I used an overlay of plastic to wrap and seal because vacunm baging was not possible with the shape. At least as far as I could see.

The vacuum bagging would have made things shrink down to fit better. Probably. Either way, though, red carbon fiber is probably destined to look too much like an ace bandage.

I am thinking spray addhesive then spray epoxy then, then, then?

The vacumn bag is going to leave the same wrinkles in the epoxy, and going to be very hard to get it to conform to some of the shapes even with the proper films. Now to do a mold and VB that I can see. Tough job anyway.

Allen you can see the material in the background. Looked good before installation. Was like trying to hang wet noodles. Thin ones. ON GLASS!

OH THE HUMANITY!!!

humbled for sure.

The vacumn bag is going to leave the same wrinkles in the epoxy, and going to be very hard to get it to conform to some of the shapes even with the proper films. Now to do a mold and VB that I can see. Tough job anyway.

I guess you found the reason that nobody is doing this already. :icon_biggrin:

I guess you found the reason that nobody is doing this already. :icon_biggrin:

If they are, they are better than me. Proof I can't do everything, but still try to. :icon_biggrin:

Oh I think you are closer to getting it right, that you thought you were....

It looks like a really good first try.....

and I believe I can do anything...... , and I believe you think the same way about yourself..... otherwise you wouldn't have tried it in the first place.

Here's my thoughts.

1. I would definitely try again.

2. I would figure out how to lay it on the entire nose piece, in one solid piece, and pre-cut it as much as possible.

3. Have a clean flat surface to pre-wet the material on prior to application. Wet material, keep part dry.

Yada yada yada... you know what to do, to apply

4. Vacuum bag it. (absolutely Critical)

5. Layer up the epoxy after that.

6.Finish it.

Had a buddy that used to use Carbon-Kevlar, and if I remember correctly, Temperature was also an issue.....

and he used a press mold. which the vacuum would give you the same result, but your going to need a good strong pump.

It's been years, but if I can remember more, I'll let you know.

Oh I think you are closer to getting it right, that you thought you were....

It looks like a really good first try.....

and I believe I can do anything...... , and I believe you think the same way about yourself..... otherwise you wouldn't have tried it in the first place.

Here's my thoughts.

1. I would definitely try again.

2. I would figure out how to lay it on the entire nose piece, in one solid piece, and pre-cut it as much as possible.

3. Have a clean flat surface to pre-wet the material on prior to application. Wet material, keep part dry.

Yada yada yada... you know what to do, to apply

4. Vacuum bag it. (absolutely Critical)

5. Layer up the epoxy after that.

6.Finish it.

Had a buddy that used to use Carbon-Kevlar, and if I remember correctly, Temperature was also an issue.....

and he used a press mold. which the vacuum would give you the same result, but your going to need a good strong pump.

It's been years, but if I can remember more, I'll let you know.

Almost the same as what I did, down to the vacumn thing. Have a very good pump to do it with, just need the multilayer film, barier etc.

Molded part neg next on the list....