CBR1100XX.org Forum

First a charging issue now dead

Weiner127

My 98 wasn't charging so I was troubleshooting and came across a totally melted fuse on the side of the battery box where the connector goes. I assume it's the main fuse. I pulled out the peices and installed the spare 30a fuse now nothing. The clock works but as soon as I turn on the key it goes out. Nothing else, no lights, horn etc. The ignition fuse is fine. There's power at the fuse and power at the 2 rear poles where the connector goes on. I'm downloading the manual now but thought some experienced guys may have a suggestion.

Thanks

It appears that the starter relay maybe is toast now. I'm not sure how it was working at all with the totally melted fuse, must've spanned the connection but now when the key is turned on there is no power flowing out to the 2 rear wires. Must be an electrical guru out there somewhere

Thanks

Reply back with the Voltages as well... that helps troubleshoot the problem. I think there is a sticky on starter/relay troubleshooting. Its a general motorcycle troubleshooting procedure that comes in very handy!

EDITED

Here is the link to the FAQ.

FAQ

Happens, need to replace the relay. Just get a new one, really. Also check the conectors to the regulator and stator, make sure they are clean and dieletric grease them.