CBR1100XX.org Forum

FRONT BRAKES DRAGGING

TFT

On Jackie's 2001 XX I had the stock wheels replaced with chrome ones I bought from Josh. I had the local Honda dealership mount the new tires and switch the brake discs over to the "new" wheels. I have noticed lately that the front brakes are constantly dragging. I checked the wheel and discs out today. I rotated the front wheel and determined there was a constant drag on both discs but there didn't seem to be any issue with warpage.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

On Jackie's 2001 XX I had the stock wheels replaced with chrome ones I bought from Josh. I had the local Honda dealership mount the new tires and switch the brake discs over to the "new" wheels. I have noticed lately that the front brakes are constantly dragging. I checked the wheel and discs out today. I rotated the front wheel and determined there was a constant drag on both discs but there didn't seem to be any issue with warpage.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

The chrome has spaced out the discs further? :icon_confused:

Tom, I'd start with the basics:

Pull the pads, clean the calipers and pistons, and push the buttons back in (note: clean them first!) and replace the pads.

If, as Para said, the rotors are in a slightly different position, the pads may simply need to bed in again. Pushing the pistons back and cleaning the buttons, then pumping them back up should cause the caliper to re-adjust where it's centering itself.

To push the buttons back in, you'll want to use a long screw driver, but don't push on the pad surface. I keep an old set of brake pads around just for such purposes, but if you don't have any, you can usually turn the pads around so you're pressing on the metal surface, then turn them back once the buttons are flat.

You should ask the Federal Czar of motorcycle brake issues. If he(she) doesn't exist yet, please take no independent action. I'm sure there will be an appointment to that post in the next several days. Obama is protecting us and helping with all aspects of our lives. There may even be some Federal stimulus money that will help with the problem. :icon_stickpoke: :icon_nana:

The calipers slide on pens to align. They have to be clean, as well as the bores, and the seals need to be good and lubed. I find that cleaning good and lube with the correct lube, a grease like but very light and made for high heat, will usually allow them to align to the rotors. If not or are all the way one way or the other on the pens, then something else is incorrectely assembled. You can push the pads back in like hobi said, and make sure that the calipers will move easy each way.

Another thing that can effect the drag on the rotors is that if evrything is proper when you release the lever from breaking,,, the pistons should retract a little. This will keep the pads from draging. Like was said, pistons can get some residue on them and stick some. Bugs will hit my fronts and cause problems. When they drag ,,they will pull to one side due to the heat in one and not the other. I usualy have to take apart and clean and lube the seals with silicone to fix. Been thinking about some sheilds.

hope that makes sence..

The calipers slide on pens to align. They have to be clean, as well as the bores, and the seals need to be good and lubed. I find that cleaning good and lube with the correct lube, a grease like but very light and made for high heat, will usually allow them to align to the rotors.

Stan,

When you reference "They" are you meaning the pens that that the disc's traverse back and forth or the seals inside the calipers that need to be greased?

Another thing that can effect the drag on the rotors is that if evrything is proper when you release the lever from breaking,,, the pistons should retract a little. This will keep the pads from draging. Like was said, pistons can get some residue on them and stick some. Bugs will hit my fronts and cause problems. When they drag ...they will pull to one side due to the heat in one and not the other. I usualy have to take apart and clean and lube the seals with silicone to fix. Been thinking about some sheilds.

Can you specifically list the grease your using? Last time I pulled my fronts, and cleaned them out, I just used brake fluid... I can see greasing the piston and seal.... just never thought about using a grease and assumed the brake fluid would work.

Stan, I will give you a call tonight about the head bearings.

Did they put the wheel spacers on the correct sides?

If they werent put on correctly, wouldnt they not line up at all? Going from memory here which is foggy at best... but the spacers installed incorrectly put the disc way out and it wont even fit in the caliper slot??

K

The front brakes on both of my birds have always had a slight drag. I've cleaned and re-greased the caliper slide pins, put in all new piston seals, new pads.

Nothing seems to help. They aren't dragging enough to cause the discs to get hot, so I guess I'll live with it. However, wheelies would be a lot easier to control if the front wheel would stay spinning just a little longer than a few seconds. :icon_twisted:

The front brakes on both of my birds have always had a slight drag. I've cleaned and re-greased the caliper slide pins, put in all new piston seals, new pads.

Nothing seems to help. They aren't dragging enough to cause the discs to get hot, so I guess I'll live with it. However, wheelies would be a lot easier to control if the front wheel would stay spinning just a little longer than a few seconds. :icon_twisted:

I have had good luck when I clean the pistons I use a scrub pad, (green one) and spray silicone lubricant on everything and assemble. Work it back and forth and use dot 4.

pictures of the pens and so forth, since the pistons are only on one side, wear on the pads, require that the calipers move to center over the rotors.

Now radial mount calipers have pistons on both sides, so no need to adjust as the pistons will. No the bird does not have them. But mine does....heheDSC04093-1.jpg

DSC04091-1.jpg

DSC04092.jpg

better?