CBR1100XX.org Forum

How can you tell if R/R is going bad?

silverbird1100

I have a 02' R/R with that I went through two stators in 20,000 miles, but both for good reason. The first stator fried because I foolishy overused my manual fan switch and the second because it was a 98 spec stator (thanks Rick's) The R/R in question charges fine but I'm about to take a long trip and questioning if I should replace it. Funds are tight to say the least, but I'm also sick of replacing things that aren't broken on this bike.

Any advice?

I replace my stator on my '02 at approx 60,000 kms. I replaced the r&r at approx 125,000 kms just to be on the safe side. I used oem on both occasions. I have 137,500 kms at the moment. I don't like after market for electricals personally. To each his own. Don't get stuck out there b/c of an aftermarket part. imo

Look at the connectors on the r/r. If they look like they're "browning" then it's time to take a look at things. Seems like with an 02 you wouldn't have the r/r issues that those of us with earlier models have.

You could also install a voltmeter and keep an eye on things that way.