CBR1100XX.org Forum

oil change issues

TFT

I changed the oil on our bikes this weekend. I had to buy oil filters and the ones the Honda dealership sold me are smaller than the ones that were on the bikes. According to the parts guy at Honda all oil filters have been superceeded with this new one. Have you guys heard the same?

Next issue:

The old oil from Jackie's bike was nice and clean, no particles. The oil from my bike had small particles. When I took some out they they didn't seem metallic and when I rubbed them (crushed them between my fingers) they powderized.

Was this carbon deposits? What would this have been? Why would they show up?

The oil from the filter was dumped into the oil catch pan so the deposits may have come from the oil filter.

What color were the particles...light or dark?

Were they crunchy/granular/gritty or soft?

Could it have been a little dirt dried on the edge of the filter or near the drain plug? Or knocked into the pan from another source?

If it was light colored and granular, it may have been condensate, especially if the bike has sat in a environment that was not completely dry.

I would be remiss if I didn't make it perfectly clear that your bike is ruined, and that I will sacrifice myself to assume the burden of providing hospice care for it. I'll assume the cost of transport to make it easier for you.

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks Joe, I feel so much better now. I'm crating it up for shipment this afternoon :icon_biggrin:

They were granular. Some were dark, some were light colored and they seemed crunchy.

You buy HONDA filters? :icon_eek:

I go with the Purolator ONE filters. Rated best and nowhere near stealership prices.

When I'm in doubt, I put a fine mesh over the drain hole in my oil catch pan (it's one of those EZ haul to the oil recycling center) so I can see what exactly came out in the oil. If I see caked dirt fall in with the mix, I have an idea of how much of it I should see.

Honda changed the CBR1100XX filter to their "standard" filter about the middle of 2007:

New Honda Oil Filter 15410-MFJ-D01- Is this right?

The last time I bought filters for the VTX1300C, they sold me the 15410-MFJ-D01, and they verified that when they ran out of the 15410-MM9-013 filters for the CBR1100XX, they would sell me the 15410-MFJ-D01 for it, too. I bought most of their old stock and put them back for the Bird.

Cut the old filters open and look at the filter material to know for sure.

+1. Definitely worthwhile to cut them open and look.

And Zero is right. While many claim to have "the best" filter, no one tosses any crap about the quality of the Purolator PureOne filters. Great filters and can be found at just about any auto parts store.