CBR1100XX.org Forum

One-finger braking?

runner

Is de-linking the only way to go?

Several other bikes I have owned stop very effectively w/one or two finger braking from high speed.

The bird requires two or three fingers for a strong braking effort from high speed.

What is the most effective way for the bird?

De-linking, braided steel lines, etc?

HEL complete brake line kit will suit the purpose. EBC HH pads help too. Still even better to use proper technique as well :icon_rolleyes: but that's just me... :icon_whistle::icon_biggrin:

I just took the ERC on Sunday and the instructor was riding me about using 4 fingers on both the brake and the clutch. I personally prefer 1 on the brake and 2 on the clutch.

I tried 2 on the brake and was not comfortable and locked up the brake with out even trying. I have more control when I use 1 finger on the brake and can stop the bike better then if i use more. so I say it is a preferance as to how you feel if you are able to and feel comfortable with 1-2-3 finger then do so if you feel comfy with 4 then that is great.

Don't do it because someone tells you that you have too.

My bike has the factory lines and still linked and I was able to stop the bike from 45 MPH well within the course limit in fact by the end of the drill the instructor was quit happy with my stopping and told me to do what worked for me.

They only required a speed of about 25mph and I pushed myself well past that just to see if I could do it.

I also am leery about putting SS lines on because you loose that ability to modulate the brakes in a panic stop and can lock the wheels up very easily. I agree they make the feel of the brakes much better but I have a cushion with the rubber lines that allows me to control the stop much better in an emergency. SS lines go from nothing to locking way to easy IMHO. :icon_rolleyes:

But to each his own everyone has their preferences.

That is just my $.02 :icon_whistle:

four fingers and if anyone thinks otherwise they are kidding. The best feel by far

well put me in with the kidders then :icon_whistle:

I'm a 1 finger braker and clutcher it's what I am most comfortable with and it works for me.

I say do what ever your comfortable with. I have the SS lines as well and have had no problem with my 1 finger routine.

2 cents :icon_biggrin:

four fingers and if anyone thinks otherwise they are kidding. The best feel by far

Tell that to Nicky Hayden. Or try it on a dirt bike. Very subjective topic, there are no absolutes despite your obviously strong opinion.

Two fingers most of the time here. Since buying the 14 I've taken to using my middle finger only unless I'm pushing it a bit.

To answer the original question- try EBC HHs before doing anything else. Great initial bite and feel. If that doesn't work for you, then look at delinking and a larger bore front M/C.

I consistantly ride with my pointer finger on the brake, and 1-finger brake on the 'bird... Stock everything except EBC HH pads front and rear...

Exactly, Tim... Try doing it on a dirt bike... I actually ride a dirt bike with a constant 2 fingers on the clutch and 1 finger on the brake...

Mike

I first picked up the EBC brakes because they are supposed to have better bite when cold.

Once I got ALL the air out of the lines I found no reason to go with SS lines and never use more then 2 fingers on the brakes.

I do like the Pazzo levers. I use a short one for the two finger brake and a long one for the clutch where I'll use 4 fingers at a red light.

I noticed Valentino Rossi will use 1 finger for a sweeper, 2 fingers often, and three for a hairpin.

EBC HHs, two fingers. Stock brake lines. Works good for me. At least I think so...

Has anbody here had the experience of locking up the back under hard braking with just the front lever and linked brakes?

I think that happened to me a couple of days ago but it happened so quick, in that instant before I let off the brake leaning over into the turn, that I was left wondering what really happened... I wasn't on the rear brake, I wasn't in a hard engine braking/down shift situation the rear seemed to skip a couple of times and got a little out of line. No ill effect, made the turn fine but was left wondering..what the hell happened.

De-linked, center pistons drilled , 5/8" master cylinder, stock Honda Pads, Galfer 2-line kit, shorty Pazzos. Two fingers is plenty.

If some one thinks you should use all four fingers, especially on a modern sport bike, tell them to go ride one with mittens on and see how they like it. I tried it in the winter once and it scared the hell out of me!

EBC HHs, two fingers. Stock brake lines. Works good for me. At least I think so...

Has anbody here had the experience of locking up the back under hard braking with just the front lever and linked brakes?

I think that happened to me a couple of days ago but it happened so quick, in that instant before I let off the brake leaning over into the turn, that I was left wondering what really happened... I wasn't on the rear brake, I wasn't in a hard engine braking/down shift situation the rear seemed to skip a couple of times and got a little out of line. No ill effect, made the turn fine but was left wondering..what the hell happened.

That is exactly what happened. If you are comfortable braking hard enough to create that condition, I think you would be happier with a de-linked system.

I don't know about the four finger thing; I find two fingers to be the optimum for

steady, controlled braking. Even under hard braking (which I do practice), two

fingers seems to be the best (for me) control; four fingers is too much, one finger

is a bit light. YMMV, of course.

And, I do have EBC pads; they are excellent, IMO.

I have occasionally done this, but it was usually on dodgy surfaces. Oily patch or gravel on road. Mind you, even the original ride reports when the bike was first released mentioned that this can happen, but that was journos on a race track. They also commented on the scuffed fairings some of them came back with... I think the quote for the brakes was that they were great on the road, but not too good for the track, unless you liked backing it in Gobert style.

I generally use 2 fingers myself.

its not how many fingers you use makes it right or wrong, its how effective you are at YOUR braking technique and how good your braking system is. Lets not even go into weight of the bike and rider and all other variables.

This can be argued like an oil thread.

Practice your emergency braking and find your bikes limits without hurting yourself. If you want to mark the distance and start changing pads, calipers, lines, master cylinders, ect ect. you can and see what improvements you made with each.. give same conditions and what not.

I generally use 2 fingers. Sometimes 1 if I'm just holding my position while stopped etc. I also often ride with 1 finger on the brake. I wonder if some of these 4 finger brakers are either a product of the antiquated rider education curriculum or maybe even a force of habit from the good old days when you needed 4 fingers to reef on the lever hard enough to stop you.

ROFL

Who needs brakes! Anyone using more than two fingers better do some grip exercises and become a real man!