CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stripping Wheels

TJ1137

I would like to polish the outside lip of my rims and leave the center inserts (Spokes) black. Does anyone know of a good stripper that will work well in removing the paint or powder coat from the stock wheels?

Been there done that....airplane paint stripper. Any paint store. Metal duckwork tape to protect what you don't want removed.

3142032646_2584d873cb.jpg

416jLLcDteL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Here is what it looks like when applied....paint bubbles off.

20070412182924-0-3796.jpg

Then I took SUPER fine sandpaper to get the residue off, then mothers aluminum polish, then wax....mirror finish.

Does anyone know of a good stripper that will work well in removing....

You had me up to here, I know a few good strippers.... :icon_biggrin:

I can do a wheel in about 30 minutes. (off the bike) I prefer masking tape and move along pretty swift after yrs of doing boat repairs and car repairs.

only takes a minute for the stripper to bubble up the paint.

If you want a mirror polish you will need to do some sanding. The XX wheel isn't that smooth and shiny under the paint.

Have done some kawi's and zuki wheels and find a damn mirror finish you can shave with under the paint.

Wear gloves, that stripper I got burns like a bitch on bare skin. I accidentally got some on my forearm past my glove and damn it was like Napalm