CBR1100XX.org Forum

electrical woes

firedad415

I'm not a mechanic... so I won't pretend to use all the right terminology.

My 99 bird has had some electrical issues. Did the loom fix 2 years ago, all went well. Last fall, on my way to Canada, the bird dies. Found a melted, burnt wire harness just off the regulator. Shop tested the system and found everything to be putting out normal voltage. Replaced the harness and sent me on my way.

All was well til a recent ride, about 80 or so miles, I smell a plastic burning smell. Get home and feel the same harness.... real hot and so is the regulator. Havent had time to replace the regulator yet, but do have one standing by (as well as a stator). I don't have voltmeter, and wouldnt be 100% sure I was using it right anyway, i'm sure it isnt too difficult, but I just dont trust me, as Ive never used one before.... should I just replace the regulator?

I'm not a mechanic... should I just replace the regulator?

I would probably be lazy and put in a new battery, replace the regulator and clean up the connector. Make sure the regualtor has a good surface contact to the frame to, it cools better then.

I'm not a mechanic... should I just replace the regulator?

I see where that could be a statement to beat your brow at, however, I am inclined enough to remove most "plug and play" items and do some minor repairs. Regulator, I would try, but the stator would intimidate me.

Funny thing is... as a medic, I can "fix" people, but fixing bikes is something I have never been taught. :icon_snooty:

You really should get a multimeter, they can be very cheap (like at Radio Shack) and they are handy as hell. I don't pretend to know how to use one to its full range of capabilities, but I can find voltages and shorts and stuff with them. It is one of those basic tools that every tool kit should have.

I wonder, why don't they make a heatsink upgrade for the R/R like the do for computer CPUs?

You'd not trust the one that comes with the CPU's retail package to do the job, why not do the same for those hot R/Rs?

I have had the same connector problem, and feel it is that the spring loadng in the female part is to low tension. I have spliced in a new plug from a old stator Hobi replaced, and seems to be fine now. In the process, I have tried new connectors, and had the same probem with melting. The factory ones are larger than most types. Was going to solder when Hobi replaced his stator and I asked for his old one. Not sure what the deal is other than what I have seen, but a bad connection will make heat. Was goin to solve it before replacing all the parts. They all checked good, so the plug was the problem.

whatever you end up doing - if you do replace your R/R and end up cutting the wires to do so (as I did to mount an R1 RR), make DAMN sure your battery is disconnected.... :icon_rolleyes::icon_neutral::icon_whistle:

When I did mine, I had pulled the neg. batt. wire off the battery terminal a few days prior, but it had slowly come to rest against the terminal again and dumbass me forgot to double-check it. When I made the slice, there was a hell of a spark show - taking out one of the 30-amp main fuses, the fuel cut-off relay, and fried a bunch of connectors deep in the wiring harness... The main fuse and fuel pump relay were found easily and remedied quickly, the latter has been a PITA and kept the bike in the garage for waaay to long.. :icon_frown:

Working on and off for the past 6 months, I'm finally almost back to Honda reliability, but will keep my fingers crosses for a while. Took my first ride since October today, felt goooooooood!!!!!!!! :icon_cool: