CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carbon Fiber Repair

SC350

I have a cut in my Akrapovic pipe. About 2 inches long, and 1/4 inch wide. It's on the side that faces the wheel so making it look like it never happened isn't important, i just need to seal it up. I was thinking of using fiberglass resin, but if anyone has some knowledge to share.... I need it.

post-6567-1237767618.jpg

The only knowledge I can share is that fiberglass resin is flammable. :icon_eek:

That's why you don't see any mufflers made from it. :icon_nono:

JB Weld may be a better fix than fiberglass or typical fillers. It can take heat and hardens to a machinable finish.

License plate ride up and scrape it?

yep! I could never figure out why the bracket kept moving down. That was when I had it double nutted. It wasn't very tight, but it was firm. A couple of weeks ago I had the tires replaced and the dealership asked if I wanted it pinned down with the axle nut. I said if you can make it work, sure, that would be great, thanks. Well.... now the bracket wouldn't move anymore. So, now there is a hole in the pipe.

You need high heat epoxy resin. I will give you a link on ebay.

link to people that have everything, and instructions too

Good info! Thanks Quad.

yep use to play with it alot in my fiberglass boat building days. Some people wanted carbon boat parts or carbon boat hulls. :icon_eek:

If I knew then to stash a bunch of carbon fiber I would have..

Yep high temp resin. They make all types from fire retardant to some wicked high temps to your ordinary that is used for everyday items.

Will need some methyl ethyl ketone peroxide also.... also know as hardner. For how much you will need to mix, 2cc's will do the job.

Also wear rubber gloves and dont get it on you. If you do acetone is your only friend. anything else short of napalm wont do jack shit for you.

If you can take the can off and move the end cap. Take some masking tape and completely seal the outside to avoid leaks. Then with the cut side down put in your mixed epoxy. Should only take 1/2 to 1oz. as the wound isn't that big. If you can get a small little piece of fiberglass or carbon mat and apply it to the inside and use a small paint brush or something and make sure its flat. Let cure and remove tape and reinstall. Also good time to repack your muffler while you already got it apart.