CBR1100XX.org Forum

Any advise for installing a new Penske rear shock?

Aurora

Don't pull the tank. Its really an easy thing to do. Put the bike on the centerstand. Prop up the tank, remove the nut holding the top of the shock, loosen up the nuts on the dog-bone bolts. I can't remember if you have to remove two or just one bolt from the triangle brackets but the shock will then come flying out with incredible force killing everyone in a 100 yard radius. Seriously though it will just drop out and you can stick the penske in its place.

Dickhead is right, just prop, remove top and bottom mounts and it drops out.

I swapped out my stocker for Ohlins in a hotel room.

:icon_whistle:

Don't bother installing it, it's junk.

Send it to me, I'll give you $1.

My brand new Penske triple adjustment 8987 shock for $1, sounds great!

Do I also get a courtesy reach around with selling you the Penske?

My brand new Penske triple adjustment 8987 shock for $1, sounds great!

Do I also get a courtesy reach around with selling you the Penske?

You betcha!! At that price... I might even use lube.... :icon_biggrin:

Where you living? If you're nearby, I can help.

Don't be a tight-ass Hobie. We all know you'll go all the way for that shock. :icon_lol:

Tight ass? ME???? Not after Scot got through with it. You can drive a Mac Truck through there now... :icon_biggrin:

I can't remember if you have to remove two or just one bolt from the triangle brackets

When I replaced my OEM shock with the 900RR shock I needed to loosen all 3 to get the shock in between the plates :icon_think:

I can't remember if you have to remove two or just one bolt from the triangle brackets

When I replaced my OEM shock with the 900RR shock I needed to loosen all 3 to get the shock in between the plates :icon_think:

Loosen yes. Remove...I can't remember. Not that it really matters.

I think I had to pull all three on mine as well...

+1 on just lifting the tank vs removing it. The shock can only go on one way as the side reservoir gets in the way if you put it in wrong (not the remote).

Dont forget with this shock you can set the ride height as well. I believe by default its set as low as it can go. Not a good thing on the bird if like corners. I think I raised mine up to about 7mm and the bike now falls in the corners (most folks used to shim their old stock shocks 4mm). Way different feeling from stock.

You'll love the wheelies you can pull now with the new rear shock. I did the front springs and rear at the same time... the old front would extend and the old rear would squat so I had to clutch to get the wheel off the ground. Now give it some gas, roll off and on and it lifts... or just flat let it loose and it starts lifting.

It shouldn't take more than a few hours to do (2 to 4 hours depending on how well you clean around the swing arm and triangles).

For what it's worth, I've enclosed some pics of my Penske installation. There are no problems installing it but it does show where I located the remote adjustment. I wiped some copper-based grease on the pivot pins to reduce the risk of fretting corrosion but is isn't strictly necessary. Can't believe how good the result was and it really showed up the standard front end. I didn't go the whole hog with a subsequent front end upgrade, just used JAWS longer springs and shorter spacers but this gave a good result.

Geoff

post-625-1237588264.jpg

post-625-1237588292.jpg

post-625-1237588672.jpg