CBR1100XX.org Forum

Low fuel light o.o.o.

fireyxx

Hi, as above, my low fuel light has stopped working, did a search and couldn't find an exact answer as to the fix, if it's the globe how hard is it to replace ? If it's not the globe what else could it be, thanks in advance, Rhys.

Thanks all, the gauge still works so does that mean the sensor in the tank is okay, but it is a globe or wiring issue or does it use a separate sensor to the gauge ? Rhys.

I'd have to double check the schematic (to see if it's any help), but is IS NOT UNCOMMON for a device to fail only in part.

The circuit that turns on the low fuel light can fail while the circuit that tells the needle where to sit works fine.

According to the service manual ('99 model), you can see if the light is working properly by doing this:

1. Disconnect the fuel reserve sensor wire (3P Black) connector from the tank.

2. Short the wire connector by jumping Brown/Black and Green/Black terminals with a jumper wire.

3. Turn on ignition.

Light should come on if it is working properly. If it does, you have a faulty fuel unit.

If the light does not come on, check the harness for open or short circuits in the harness. If the wiring is okay, then you have a fault in the fuel meter unit (what the manual calls the fuel gauge on the instrument cluster). The manual just says to replace the whole gauge. I don't know if it's possible to just replace the defective LED (if that's the problem) or fix a fault within the gauge.

All of this is on Page 19-18 of the manual.

According to www.bikebandit.com (a great place to find any OEM replacement part or just see what the going price is for comparison shopping), a replacement fuel sensor set (the bit in the tank) is only $66.55. A replacement LED for the fuel gauge is $24.29, but it's not just the LED, it's the wiring part for it as well. Keep in mind these prices were for my bike (1999 model) and for some reason bikebandit listed it as a CBR1000XX, but it's just a typo.

Mine doesn't work either and it's the sensor. I had another gas tank previously that worked fine and when I changed tanks, the low light stopped working. I have a spare sensor, I just haven't bothered opening it up to change it.

zer0netgain, thanks for all that info, I appreciate effort now I need to get some time between keeping everything tidy around the house in case these bushfires take off again and have some quality time with the XX, Rhys.

• 3 years later...

I have same problem replaced bulb that has wiring two small circuit boards. Doesn't light come on just before it gets in red on gauge or after its in the red ?