CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ford 4.2L V6 Questions

MrBadExxample

I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 Ford F150 with 99K miles real cheap. $400 to be exact. The truck looks great. The interior and exterior are in really great shape and the tires are brand new. It's real a basic truck - XL trim level, 2WD, regular cab, manual transmission. The truck will only be used on road for carrying a motorcycle or trips to the hardware store. So the basic configuration is fine with me. But there's a catch (of course).

As you may already know, the 97-99 4.2L V6 had some faulty gaskets, mostly the timing cover gasket and head gaskets. When they failed, coolant would leak into the cylinders or crankcase. Well the engine in this truck had this problem. Apparently coolant leaked into one of the cylinders and another cylinder overheated. One of the pistons has a hole in it. Basically it needs an engine swap. A remanufactured long block 4.2L is $1700-$3200. Or I could have the current engine rebuilt. A machine shop I trust quoted me ~ $3000 to do this, which frankly seemed a little high.

Anyone know a machine shop that could rebuild a 4.2L for a more reasonable price? Maybe I should rebuild it myself, which I've done before, like 20 years ago. Is a 4.2L worth rebuilding? Anyone have experience with a rebuilt one? Lots of people are critical of this motor, for the gasket problem and because it lacks power in a full size truck. The lack of power is not a problem for me. With new (non faulty) gaskets, is this a reliable engine?

Thank You

You said there is a hole in one of the cylinders. That would definitely require a whole new block. If you meant there is a hole in one of the pistons, then I would rebuild it yourself. You may only have to replace the one piston and then hone the cylinders and re-ring all the pistons. Of course that is a "best case" scenario.

My Brother-in-law had almost the exact same truck except for XLT package. He sold it with over 100K and never said he had any engine problems.

BTW the 4.2L is only 15 HP down from the 4.8L V-8. It as long as you don't pull a big trailer, it will be fine. My dad still has 97 with a V-8 and auto trans and has had no issues.

Is a $400 1997 truck worth a reman engine? Maybe a used one? Then install updated gaskets before you put it in.
Probably not. If I put a remanufactured engine in the truck, I'd have ~ $2200 in it. For that much, I could probably buy a running 97 F150. So if I do this, I'd get a used engine, or rebuild it myself. Either way is several weekends of work and several hundred dollars.. Hmmmm.......

Is a $400 1997 truck worth a reman engine? Maybe a used one? Then install updated gaskets before you put it in.
Probably not. If I put a remanufactured engine in the truck, I'd have ~ $2200 in it. For that much, I could probably buy a running 97 F150. So if I do this, I'd get a used engine, or rebuild it myself. Either way is several weekends of work and several hundred dollars.. Hmmmm.......

I usually ask myself the question: "Do I have the time for another PROJECT?" If you can't answer a definite "NO", then go for it. At least your guaranteed an educational experience. Hopefully a good one. :icon_pray: