CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 bird ram air

elm327

did the 97 model birds have the ram air tubes?? mine are missing if they were even there in the first place, i just bought the bike last year. honda service manual for 97-98 shows no pics or says anything about them. hondas parts fische shows both of them and has same part # for 97-03.

The ram ducts on the carbed birds run to the oil cooler. When they went to injection, they used the nostrils for ram air to the airbox & moved the oil cooler down to the top of the radiator.

edit: I have read posts by a few people who tried ram air on carbed birds and the bikes didn't like it. The carbs are not set up to handle the higher pressure and the metering went to hell until it was extensively recalibrated.

edit: I have read posts by a few people who tried ram air on carbed birds and the bikes didn't like it. The carbs are not set up to handle the higher pressure and the metering went to hell until it was extensively re calibrated.

I seem to remember Flywheels on OzBB put Ram Air on his carbed bike and got it to work :icon_confused: Took quite a while and a bit of stuffing around though :icon_think:

Stock carbed birds came simply with a air flow director to direct air through the snout of the fairing to blow air over the oil cooler. You can put ram air tubes from FI bikes on it but you have to remove the air flow director, probably re locate the oil cooler and then pressurize the float bowls of the bike. IT can be done but the performance gains are probably only 3-5hp and only on top end.