CBR1100XX.org Forum

Motorcycle ramps

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

Getting more serious about this and consider your imput/thought on the matter.

Last time when I put my bike in for the winter, it was a real hassle. My 6 foot long loading ramp (read board) allowed the bike to ground out once the front wheel dropped off the end of the board. Don't need that anymore......took three people to get it off. I also am not able to scare up several people on a whim to help me. That leads me to the decision to buy a real ramp. My idea of a good one is at least 7 feet long, arched, and capable of supporting the weight of the bike plus myself with a good safety margin, wide enough to sit on the bike with both feet on the ramp, and a cost less than the GNP of Nicarauga. Pluses would be folding and lightweight. I'd plan to use this also for things like garden tractor, and for light scaffolding work. I'd load things into my van with it, as the trailer has been sold.

Here's what I have found.

"7.5' Folding Arch Big Boy Harley Loading Ramp"

at www.atvexpress.com

$240 with shipping.

BUT.......this ramp appears to be three of their 12 inch wide ramps rated at 750 pounds merely bolted together with muffler clamps.....if you enlarge the picture, that's what I see. I'm concerned about that....the motorcyle and most of my weight will rest on only one of the ramps...which is rated for 750 pounds by itself, regardless of the fact that it's mufflerclamped to another one that's not directly supportive. So do y'all think that's enough "contact" between the two to adequately transfer the weight bearing to the outer ramps in a safe fashion, and adhere to the load rating of the original ramp? (in other words, will just the muffler clamps transfer a couple hundred pounds of the weight load from the center ramp to the outer ramps......making my 800 pounds supported by say.....150 pounds each outer ramp, and 500 pounds center?)

I know....a lot of angst on my part......but I have pretty limited funds, combined with bad legs and a desire to steer clear of the hospital, and not to purchase replacement Honda parts in bulk.

Thanks for your time, thought, and sensible input to my perplexing problem this morning.

If you walk it up, keeping your feet and most/some of your weight on the two outside ramps, I don't see it being a problem.

I wouldn't trust it to ride up motocross bike style, feet on the pegs, without some further reinforcement.

i just purchased ramps from atvexpress. not the one you listed, joe, just 2 of the regular ramps. i havent tried it yet, but my plan was to walk the bike into my truck with the bike on one ramp and me on the other.

they look like they are well made and shipping was fast. i found them on ebay.

Put a bunch of extra clamps on it, and make em tight. That should transfer enough weight to the outer ramps to be safe.

Maybe jury rig some sort of extra support for under the center....couple of cinder blocks or something. Or make some sort of legs for the center.

I would seem the weak point is the folding joint.

Or, just move so you have a walk out basement like me. :grin:

Steve

I think I would go with these ramps (buy 2 ), lightwieght aluminium :grin: ( don't need back problems too ) , and they have smaller grate pattern ( less likely to catch a toe or somethin ).

Then I would have someone weld them together ( side to side ), that would be much stronger than the clamps, and it wouldn't have the tendancy to pinch the bars like the clamps would.

What do ya think?

edited... I just went back and read where they are redisigning there hinge system... wonder why?

I'm gonna keep looking.

OK found the best ones yet, I think for what you want anyways, no welding , no clamps, one piece folding.....

http://www.customautotrim.com/loadingramps...s-&-medical.htm

... and a pretty good price all things considered. :grin: Now I want one.

And another thought would be to add a shim were the hinge pinches together so that it makes the ramps arch. :idea:

I think I would go with these ramps (buy 2 ), lightwieght aluminium :grin: ( don't need back problems too ) , and they have smaller grate pattern ( less likely to catch a toe or somethin ).

Then I would have someone weld them together ( side to side ), that would be much stronger than the clamps, and it wouldn't have the tendancy to pinch the bars like the clamps would.

What do ya think?

edited... I just went back and read where they are redisigning there hinge system... wonder why?

I'm gonna keep looking.

Welding these together would be difficult, as the sides pieces are rather thick. Not sure about the hinge re-design, mine works great, no problems loading the bike, mulitple times

Just to extend that a bit (pardon the pun)...

This will give you foot room...

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/6_piece_ramp.htm

Joe,

Here is what I have to load the bike in the back of my pickup. Has the angle change at the mid-point . Breaks down to two pieces.http://www.motorcycleramps.com/2_piece_ramp.htm

Sam's club down here was selling a really nice one for

$50.0. I bought two and use them side by side to

tote the 'Bird around. They have a combined capacity

of 1/2 a ton..

:cool: TJ :cool: