CBR1100XX.org Forum

carb slides

XBBX

Hey everybody, my 98 is suffering from lack of power above 5,000 rpm, especially when the throttle is whacked WFO. From idle to 4-5k it pulls hard so I'm pretty sure it's making good compression. Example: if I'm running 70mph in 6th gear and go WFO, it just CREEEEEEPS up to 100mph where in the past it would rocket to 150 pronto. I think the slides aren't operating correctly as this the range where the slides should go up bringing the needles up with it. I'm pretty sure the slides are vacuum operated. Is there anybody that can explain the slides and how they are supposed to work? Specifically the vacuum that is supposed to pull the slides up. There is a large diameter tube that runs from the airbox to the middle of the carb bank, just wondering if this where the vacuum is generated for the slides?

I can operate the slides manually so there is nothing binding that I can see.

The bike has 82,000 miles on it.

Any advice is mucho mucho appreciated- and if a reply helps fix it you win a case of Fat Tire at the Colorado meet.

Wade

I think I found the problem. When I operate the slides manually, the 2 outside carb slides have resistance-against the diaphragm. The inside slides have no resistance-like the diaphragm has a tear. The 2 inside diaphragms prolly got real hot and brittle. I wont know until tonight when I have time to inspect them. Will give an update tomorrow.

yep

2 out of 4 diaphragms shredded. I'm just gonna replace all 4 since I got it pulled apart.

Honda shop here wants $100 bucks a piece....fack!

I'll bring the Fatties anyway.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
yep

2 out of 4 diaphragms shredded. I'm just gonna replace all 4 since I got it pulled apart.

Honda shop here wants $100 bucks a piece....fack!

I'll bring the Fatties anyway.

Cheers

Try these guys. Usually the cheapest around and I`ve never had any problems. And they have your diaphragms for about $76!

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp