CBR1100XX.org Forum

Heli bars....

Zero Knievel

I'm not sure what they do for the Blackbird. I was happy with the stock bars.

Here's what they did for my Busa.

1 5/8" Taller 1/2" Rearward 1/2" Wider Overall

I had to re-route my fast idle cable (documented in the install instructions) otherwise, everything bolted up just fine.

My dealer had a set in stock that they ordered for someone that didn't pick them up. I negotiated the bars and a used throttlemeister as part of the deal when I bought the bike.

On the Busa, the bars slide into mounts built into the top triple clamp. They do not clamp on the fork tube. Unless you put two bikes side to side, you cannot tell the difference.

I put a set on the XX. As far as the mounting it is very simple. Just exchange the stock bars for the Heli's.*

You have to nip off a little tab on the clutch master clyinder that locates the angle of the banjo bolt on the Honda bars. Once you look at it it becomes obvious, and a good time to buy a Dremel tool. You do not have to bleed the brakes.

Just loosen the banjo bolt enough to rotate it slightly. (this was the hardest part for me, it did not want to budge.

I had to mount it up to get leverage, do this first.)

You don't change out any cables or hoses. My clutch hose seems too tight on right lock, I'll move it slightly on the frame someday.

After you have it back together, you can adjust the angle a tad bit, but check left and right lock and make sure it doesn't hit the fairing or tank.

As for the difference? It doesn't look like much but it makes a big difference. If you sat up any more, you'd be in the wind too much.

It's not like a cruiser at all. I find it very awkward when I first ride it, then after 5 miles it seems great.

If you want to sit up like a cruiser, get the conversion that uses a real handlebar. (LSL?) But you will have to change all the hoses.

Keep the Dremel handy for when you lower the brake pedal after you install the peg lowering brackets.

* The bar ends can be tricky. When you remove the stock grips, you'll see the bar end screw is captive in the bar. Screw the bolt back in, depress both little tabs (in the holes) at the same time while wiggling and pulling. I found if I put the bolt in a vice, I had enough hands to do everything at once.

Forget the Heli-bars! Order a set of stock bars for a VFR800 instead. They have a much better angle, look completely stock, and won't bend when using a bar-harness. They are also cheaper than Heli-bars. I'm sure someone on here has a picture of their install. I have never posted pictures before, so it might take a while before I could show you what my bars look like.

Also, don't expect the mounting for the bar end weights to come out real easy. I used a slide-hammer on one of mine for a half hour and it wouldn't move at all. It was kind of a "blessing in disguise" cause I found some really cool-looking (they have the same pattern as the fairing bolts) weights that use the rubber expansion method. :icon_cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Forget the Heli-bars! Order a set of stock bars for a VFR800 instead. They have a much better angle, look completely stock, and won't bend when using a bar-harness. They are also cheaper than Heli-bars. I'm sure someone on here has a picture of their install. I have never posted pictures before, so it might take a while before I could show you what my bars look like.

Also, don't expect the mounting for the bar end weights to come out real easy. I used a slide-hammer on one of mine for a half hour and it wouldn't move at all. It was kind of a "blessing in disguise" cause I found some really cool-looking (they have the same pattern as the fairing bolts) weights that use the rubber expansion method. :icon_cool:

+1 VFR bars are better made than helis. Found mine on ebay. shop installed them. MUCH better than stock bars....bike is much more comfortable....stock reach was enough to hurt my back being 5'10". Now it's GREAT!

This is what I got from the Aus distributor in March 06 when enquiring about them

$385AU To Perth, 1 5/8” taller, 1” rearward, 1.5” wider, Stock bar ends used and cables

New VFR bars were nearly $600AUD with internal bar weights :icon_eek:

+1 on VFR Bars

Here's some VFR Bar install pictures:

http://www.ultsoftware.com/vfrbars/

New VFR bars were nearly $600AUD with internal bar weights icon_eek.gif

See if you can pick them up on either Ebay or from a VFR Board member. Expect to spend ~100 or so for a set used

As for your specific questions (Heli Bars or VFR, for that matter)

1. What do they offer over OEM?

Don't forget you can raise the stock bars a bit, about 3/4".

VFR bars are up a bit and out a bit. Up I think it's about 1" or so. (see the pictures) And they look and fit stock. Usually you won't have to modify anything, if your clutch line is long enough, but I cut the little knob off by the banjo bolt and rotated the line down a bit because it was a tight fit.

Heli bars allow for a bit more adjustability with regards to their position in and out. But IMHO, they look kinda like ass. See above comments and concerns about canyon dancers, too.

2. How much does a quality set cost?

For VFR Bars, you want to find them used. Ebay or one of the VFR forums are your friend. See above.

As for Heli bars... Google it :icon_biggrin:

3. How easy are they to install (assume you have heated grips to deal with)?

Depends on whether you have true heated grips, or something like Dual Star stick on heated grips. If you have true heated grips, removing the grips isn't a real big deal, a little brake cleaner underneath and the grips come right off. If you have the stick on variety, plan on buying new heating elements. Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward, will take you about a half an hour.

4. How much of an improvement do they offer?

Your mileage may vary. I've done long days on both stock bars and VFR bars, and there's really a difference with the VFR bars on your back, and it holds you up in the wind a bit more on hot days. When it gets twisty, I'm usually in a tuck/moving around on the seat/etc anyways, so there's no real difference. The more outward position of the bars does give you a bit more leverage, though, so it's a bit less tiring if you're in twisties for a while, although if your arms are what's tired, you're probably not moving around enough on the seat :icon_biggrin:

A little late but,

I run a set of VFR bars and Gen Mar Risers on my BB that I had laying around from my '02 VFR.

I tried the Heli's on my VFR and quite frankly I didn't notice that drastic of a difference as compared to the Gen Mars alone. I'd suspect the bars came back just a small bit more with the Heli's though, if anything. But for the add'l $$ for the Heli's, I didn't see/feel a big difference really. On the BB however the VFR bars and Gens really do make a difference as compared to the stock CBR bars, so I'd guess Heli's on the BB would be similar.

Yes, the paperwork you get from Heli's mentions not using canyon dancers on them. When I had them on the VFR and used a trailer one time, we had to use a set of soft straps around the lower triple/forks, underneath the fairing, and then fasten the ratchet tie downs there... I'd suspect you'd need to do the same thing with the BB.

You should be able to find a set of used VFR bars from the guys over on VFRdiscussion.com, they always are putting them up for sale over there as well as risers and/or Helibars. Heck, you could put a WTB ad in their classifieds and chances are you'll get a response eventually.

I've used a canyon dancer with my Heli-bars at least a handful of times for 400+ miles with no issues. If you're compressing the forks enough to bend the Heli's, you're using too much tension on the tie downs IMHO.

You could also run tie downs around the lower triple but the mounting angle to the tie down hooks in my trailer causes the straps to rub just inside of the lower cowl.

I also use a Sport Chock, which helps to stabilize the bike. You don't need to compress the front so much. Hope that helps.

I used a canyon dancer on my Busa with Heli's with no problems. They are pretty stout. You could break them like anything else if you put too much force on bars with the tiedown straps, just use good judgement.

VFR bars are more common on the Blackbird than Heli's, probably because they are easier to find.

http://www.ultsoftware.com/vfrbars/

New VFR bars were nearly $600AUD with internal bar weights icon_eek.gif

See if you can pick them up on either Ebay or from a VFR Board member. Expect to spend ~100 or so for a set used

Nah it's OK Hobie, Joe Rockme hooked me up with a set a couple of years ago, Thanks for that Joe :icon_wink:

Just saying you guys are a lot better off for parts prices :icon_eek: