CBR1100XX.org Forum

Lowering sport bikes

dragonryder

I am looking for information and parts needed to lower 2 potential bikes a 20001 VTR 1000 and a Honda 954.

When I got the Gixxer (RIP) it was already lowered with lowering links about 1 1/2" as I am only 5' tall with my riding boots on. I don't feel I need to flat foot but I need to be able to get both feet on the ground at the same time.

I think my inseam is 29 or 30 inches and with the stock seat and riding boots I could get either one foot flat and the other foot tippy toed or I could get both balls of both feet down when I stopped. I only had trouble in gravel or if I ended up on the high side of a ditch. Yeah Not fun.

I have 5 bikes being considered for my GSXR 1000 replacement. the Honda VTR1000 (2000), a Honda 954, a 2001

Suzuki SV1000 and a Kawasaki Ninja and another GSXR 1000. the stock seat heights are from 31.3" to 33.9. I wanted to actually measure what is left of my bike but with a flat front tire it would not be that accurate. I did sit on it and it felt the same as before the wreck except with a flat front/

Does anyone know of a resource either on the internet or in an actual technical journal/book for information on how to properly lower any of these bikes. I think I will have to change the front as well as the rear, check SAG etc. I have tons of tools to do just about anything I need to do unfourtunatly the Clymer manuals do not divulge information regarding "changing" suspension. I realize that lowering one without the other changes the frame geometry and there fore the handling characteristics. As I said I am 5' tall with a 30" inseam add 1 1/2 to that with my riding boots my weight is about 140# about 10# above average as due to injuries I cannot excersize without aggrivating my multiple busted areas.

Thanks for anything you can provide.

Anita

With a 31.5" (adjusted) inseam you shouldn't need to lower

any of those bikes. But I'm wondering if they measure women's

inseams differently from men's. I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam and I

touch flat footed with both feet on the 954RR.

With your regular inseam you should be just fine.(clearly I'm missing something here)

But check out fireblades.org for all the info you'll ever

need on lowering the 954.

Also, I do have the full Honda service manual on CD

with the 954. (where the heck did I put that thing!)

I am sure that they are measuring differently. The stock BB that Craig has is a 2001 it states the seat height is 32.5". Craig is 6'tall and I buy him 32" length pants. He flat foots the bird. When I sit on it even scooting right up to the tank I can't get but 1 foot down on the ground with my butt hiked over to that side. Not very stable safe at all.

I will try and actually measure seat hight on the GSXR tomorrow with it straight up and down. the Front tire is flat but I think I can adjust for that. It shouldn't make much difference where I am measuring it.

When ever I have gone into a dealership every bike that was a sport bike was too high for me. Usually I could get a foot down flat but with my butt cocked to one side. (not very comfortable or safe)

The other factor affecting seat height is the width of the seat side to side. I'll measure that to.

When I went to bike week a numer of years ago they had someone there making gel seats from stock seats. It effectivly lowere the seat height about 2" in some cases without sacrificing comfort and since not changes were made to the geometry handling characteristics at all.

I also tent to get close to the tank when I ride. It's just more comfortable for me that way.

Anita

Here is a thought, if you buy one of the bikes from here, maybe for the cost of the rear lowering link (about $100) the seller would install it and slide the fork tubes up for you. That would drop the bike one inch. I know that I would do it to sell a bike and help a forum member.

Most people on sport bikes can't get both feet flat. I don't even think about it anymore.

I put my left toe down just to balance and cover the rear brake with the right.

To rest at a long light I'll go to neutral and put my right foot down provided it's flat.

I am sure that they are measuring differently. The stock BB that Craig has is a 2001 it states the seat height is 32.5". Craig is 6'tall and I buy him 32" length pants. He flat foots the bird. When I sit on it even scooting right up to the tank I can't get but 1 foot down on the ground with my butt hiked over to that side. Not very stable safe at all.

I will try and actually measure seat hight on the GSXR tomorrow with it straight up and down. the Front tire is flat but I think I can adjust for that. It shouldn't make much difference where I am measuring it.

When ever I have gone into a dealership every bike that was a sport bike was too high for me. Usually I could get a foot down flat but with my butt cocked to one side. (not very comfortable or safe)

The other factor affecting seat height is the width of the seat side to side. I'll measure that to.

When I went to bike week a numer of years ago they had someone there making gel seats from stock seats. It effectivly lowere the seat height about 2" in some cases without sacrificing comfort and since not changes were made to the geometry handling characteristics at all.

I also tent to get close to the tank when I ride. It's just more comfortable for me that way.

Anita

Whew! I was beginning to think you were head-to-toe legs!

Another thing to consider is the Corbin seat for the 954 or the Sargeant for the Superchicken(can't speak for the others you're interested in since I haven't owned those.....yet).... they lower your riding position nicely. A bit more expensive but much easier to obtain without upsetting the geometry of the bike.

The only thing about those seats, well the Corbin anyway, is that it may be a bit wider near the tank than a stock seat. But that's easy enough to resolve.

Most people on sport bikes can't get both feet flat. I don't even think about it anymore.

To rest at a long light I'll go to neutral and put my right foot down provided it's flat.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. (5'6", 30" inseam)

95%+ of my riding time is spent moving with the feet on the pegs, and I'm not a fan of upsetting the geometry of the bike. I have NO problem with getting off the bike and pushing it backwards/etc if I need to move it around.

That having been said:

When my neighbor bought his 954, it had a lowering link. We've now put it back to stock. IF you pick up Joel's 954, and want the lowering link, I have one for free.

Anita

As for the XX, Craig might want to check his rear shock linkage plates for any deliberate rotation to get that seat height (assuming he hasn't installed a shim on the upper shock mount or maxed out an adjustable ride-height shock). The stock per Honda, and as measured, is supposedly 31.9"... see link...

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=46495

Oops... I just noticed his is a 2001 - these measurements are from a '99...

You guys are missing very important point,the weight,it is huge difference if you 30 inseam but weight 250 pounds instead of 130.With heavy lard ass on board suspension sags more making the reach to the ground much easier.

Dragonryder,check this out http://www.excessivelocity.com/our_garage/...Honda_954RR.htm

I think Vivid is about 5`2",maybe 5`3",she can`t be much more then 100 pounds.

When I ride Bills' SV 650 This is what I do too.

Not uncomfortable