CBR1100XX.org Forum

can someone post a pic or two

BarryG

Do you have to lift up the tank to do this? I can't figure how/where and with what to do it?

Thanks

No need to lift tank, remove seat and come from the top or come in from under tail over the rear tyre with a "C" spanner or a hammer and drift, top ring is locking ring, loosen anti clockwise then wind down lower ring to increase preload or wind up to lessen :icon_surprised:

Can be a bitch getting in there with a spanner or drift and may require taking shock out to loosen lock ring :icon_confused:

post-2722-1225108147.jpg

Thanks, Para. Geez.....didn't know it was gonna be this big of a PIA to adjust. I'd just like to see where it's set at really. Bike feels fine. I don't even have a C spanner or drift or know what the hell they are...... :icon_whistle:

I do have a hammer though. :icon_biggrin:

While we're at it....

What is the stock preset set for (weight)?

I assume it is set up for someone ~78kg as that is what the stock spring is rated for :icon_confused:

How many turns of the ring is needed for X unit of weight adjustment?

Don't know never adjusted my stock shock :icon_surprised:

What is the recommended preset on the rear?

As above :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks, Para. Geez.....didn't know it was gonna be this big of a PIA to adjust. I'd just like to see where it's set at really. Bike feels fine. I don't even have a C spanner or drift or know what the hell they are...... :icon_whistle:

I do have a hammer though. :icon_biggrin:

Yeah it looks like it would be a PITA :icon_surprised: I never actually adjusted mine as the damping had gone and I replaced mine with a 900RR shock and that has a stepped preload adjuster which adjusts easily with a "C" spanner :icon_surprised: Like this one gallery_2722_589_130078.jpg

You should have a C spanner in your factory Honda toolkit.

Its the only tool in there that you'll never find any other use for!

I didn't have a tool kit with my bike but bought one from a guy on OzBB from a FI bike and it didn't have a "C" spanner, just got one from the local Honda dealer for $17 :icon_think:

A large screw driver will work in place of a drift. :icon_whistle:

Yeah I guess ya could bodge it with one of them :icon_razz::icon_lol:

While we're at it....

What is the stock preset set for (weight)?

How many turns of the ring is needed for X unit of weight adjustment?

What is the recommended preset on the rear?

The position of the ring is not what you need to be taking note of.

The rear end should be set by "rider sag" - IE How much the bike sags from a fully extended shock.

General recommendation is around 35 to 40mm of sag at the rear.

Method - 1. Put bike on centre stand and measure from rear wheel axle vertically up to a fixed point on the frame / bodywork.

2. Put the bike back on it's wheels and sit on it in normal riding position ( near a wall so you can hold on for balance)

and get a friend to measure between the same two points.

long measurement minus short measurement is the "Rider Sag"

gallery_2722_589_130078.jpg

in this pic there is a flat screw looking thing marked: "TEN" and then has the settings: "S" "H"

I am going to guess it stands for "Tension" and "Soft" "Hard" but my question is, what exactly does it do?

Rebound damping adjuster.

You should have a C spanner in your factory honda toolkit.

Its the only tool in there that you'll never find any other use for!

:icon_scratchhead: I'm thinking I got screwed here now....my kit doesn't have a spanner. What's up with that? Does everyone else with '03 models have a spanner in the toolkit?

No spanner in my '01 kit, either (I bought mine new). Given that the adjuster is about impossible to access with a tool like that when the shock is mounted, I don't think that was included in the XX kit.

• 3 months later...

I did my rear sag this weekend - was 65mm and 2 turns of the preload doodad took it to 42mm sag

it is sooooooo much harder now - I feel every bump in the road. Turns in way faster tho, and feels far nicer thru bends (tho that could also be the new PR2 I put on a week ago)

gallery_2722_589_130078.jpg

in this pic there is a flat screw looking thing marked: "TEN" and then has the settings: "S" "H"

I am going to guess it stands for "Tension" and "Soft" "Hard" but my question is, what exactly does it do?

Rebound damping adjuster.

Mine is set where it came from the factory. I measured SAG and it was within the street rider specs. Maybe you can give me some coaching on the rebound adjustment Friday night.

I'd have to call the fag/guy I sold my bike to. I can't remember for sure if a spanner was in my tool kit. I think it might have,but my memory sometimes fails me.

That's what my wife tells me at least. :icon_confused:

I screw with my suspension all the time. I have the Penske adjustable rear, AK's in the front.

In any case, for the rebound, I would first see how many turns you have in the adjustment, then turn it all the way counter-clockwise, then turn it in (clockwise) to the midpoint. Good start.

Jumpy/touchy means, turn counter-clockwise. Not responsive, tighten it up. Be careful though, those rebounds only take a small turn to dial it in.

For the preload, follow the 35~40'ish rule. If that doesn't work, replace the spring.

Good luck.