CBR1100XX.org Forum

Performance & Handling Modifications

uvaldeXX

I've owned my 02 bird since May of '07. I've spent the last year trying to learn how to ride it, as it is my first "sport bike".

Added a Throttlemiester and change the tires to PR2"s, other than that, it's stock.

Wondering what mods other riders have made that in retrospect they think really improved performance and or handling.

Looks like many recommend the 6mm shim, that's pretty damn cheap! :icon_evilgrin:

thanks,

Jim

Tires make a huge difference and you already have the PR2s so you got that covered.

6mm is a must, helps the bike turn in quicker.

However with most bikes the manufactures really get cheap on the suspension and a full up grade will cost you.

A full exhaust system, air filter upgrade with a power commander for performance is a great start.

The bike has plenty of performance, really no need to go there. The suspension is the weak point. An aftermarket shock helps as does re-valving and re-springing the front. It makes a world of difference. It will still be handicapped by the lack of compression or rebound adjustment in the front.

How much do you weigh? If you weigh more than say 190 lbs, increasing preload on the rear shock will help - less rear end squat hence less running wide when turning. If preload is maxed, then a stiffer rear spring could be in order.

Increasing the rear preload is free. Increasing the rear ride height with the 6mm shim is almost free.

Rider improvement is the biggest performance upgrade you can made. Take a MSF course.

EBC brake pads and new fluid may make you feel like you have SS lines.

Next, I would go for comfort. The peg lowering blocks and VFR bars are a great improvement.

You can usually sell a corbin seat for about what you pay (if you buy used) so it's like a free upgrade.

Gear can add saftey and comfort. I use www.motorcyclecloseouts.com. Boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet.

The 6mm rear shock shim is the cheapest and greatly improves turn in.

Racetech springs and a swap to a 5w oil will cost you about $100 if you do it yourself. Check Jaw's site if you want to install pre-load adjusters, he's got them and they're not very expensive. Get someone to help set sag on the front and rear, and you're about 90% where you need to be.

I'm glad i have my $80 SS front brake lines, every time i hit the brake. Best mod, hands down.

Second, would be getting tires that match the bike. I'm very happy with my Pilot Roads...nice profile.

As jcrich stated, the bike has plenty of HP bone stock. Can it be improved.........absolutely! Does it NEED to be improved, not really. Suspension is where you want to spend the money for improved handling. As Rich stated, the suspension on the XX is definitely the weak link. An aftermarket shock will cost you some $$$, depending on which brand, and whether or not it is new or used. Personally, I would opt for an aftermarket rear shock and then do the front forks with Racetec springs and have them re-valved for your weight.

I was in a similar situation with my track bike.....a CBR1000RR. They are known for having very poor suspension from the factory. I found a very good condition Ohlins rear shock and put it on, along with having Ohlins internals put in the front forks by CTR suspensions here in Knoxville. Can you say night and day differnece in handling. The bike itself is NOT any faster than the day that I bolted the stuff on, but I'm much faster now with a good suspension setup. That in itself instills a lot of confidence in your riding when you get the suspension dialed in and you know that the bike is going to handle the bumps and uneven pavement that you are going to encounter when riding. For the money, go with suspension components and the bike will be "faster".

The bike has plenty of performance, really no need to go there. The suspension is the weak point. An aftermarket shock helps as does re-valving and re-springing the front. It makes a world of difference. It will still be handicapped by the lack of compression or rebound adjustment in the front.

Traxxion Dynamics fork kits will provide the adjustability you are looking for.

http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AK-20

The bike has plenty of performance, really no need to go there.

the bike has plenty of HP bone stock. Can it be improved.........absolutely! Does it NEED to be improved, not really.

I don't even know y'all anymore............ :icon_hand:

Yep... As these guys have said, no real need to go with more power, and the suspension is the weak link... You can do the valves and springs in the front end (Race-Tech, Ohlins, Penske, etc), and an Ohlins, Wilbers, or Penske shock in the rear (which one depends on whether you want remote preload... if you don't the Penske is probably the way to go), and the 6mm shim...

If I had $1500 to spend on mods, the FIRST thing I'd do was a complete redo of the suspension, and save the exhaust/power commander for later... Depending on the exhaust, you may be in the same price range to go either way... In which case, I'd definately do the suspension first...

Mike

All of you guys are missing the most cost efficient performance mode,,,,,,,,,

Just trade XX for Busa or ZX14. :icon_twisted:

BTW,there is no such of thing like "no real need for more power".More is better.Period.

If you're not trying to be the next Nicky Hayden and want to save a little money on the rear suspension upgrade, send your stock shock to Racetech and have them put in Gold Valves and re-spring it for your weight. I don't know if it will be as good as a Penske, but the difference was definitely worth it to me.

If you're not trying to be the next Nicky Hayden and want to save a little money on the rear suspension upgrade, send your stock shock to Racetech and have them put in Gold Valves and re-spring it for your weight. I don't know if it will be as good as a Penske, but the difference was definitely worth it to me.

How much ?

How much ?

This was a couple years ago, so I'm sure the prices are higher now. IIRC the shock rebuild with gold valves and heavier spring was about $350. The forks I did myself. I did gold valves for the compression side only as I had heard somewhere that the rebound side on the forks is pretty good as stock using 5W oil. These valves were about $150 plus shipping. Now add in seals and bushings. If your Bird has less than 10K miles you could probably get by with out the new bushings.