CBR1100XX.org Forum

Removing swingarm

Furbird

OK, I'm removing the swingarm on the dragbird and this thing is being a major PITA. I made the spanner wrench out of a socket, so that nut is off. The left side nut is off. I made a 14mm allen out of a bolt, double nutted, interference thread nuts AND mushroomed the threads. It gets to a certain point (where that is I can't define because it won't come out) but basically there is about an inch of threads exposed on the right side of the bike (making that 14mm allen opening about flush with the side of the frame) and maybe a half inch of exposed thread on the left side (which means about 1/2 inch inside the opening on the frame). The first 14mm "tool" I made I was using a 3 foot cheater bar with a wrench and it broke the bolt. Upgraded to a grade 8.8 cylinder head bolt and it's rounding off the double nut. With the impact at 120ft/lbs of reverse threads it is pounding away so hard that it is actually RETHREADING THE DAMN BOLT where I mushroomed it. I've even tried the BFH method, and with a 5 pound sledge it's not budging either. I'm really at a loss at this point as there is no reason why the pivot shaft should not be coming out of the frame. Any ideas?

I'm going to borrow a real 14mm allen socket from one of the guys at work tomorrow, and hose every exposed section of the swingarm at the pivot I can find with penetrating oil. Does anybody have a picture or a diagram of how this thing is supposed to be assembled? I have a manual, and there is not a picture of the pivot shaft at all. Is the threaded part where the spanner nut goes on a sleeve and the shaft goes through it, or is the actually outside diameter of the shaft threaded? What am I missing? I've looked here and on other bird and just general Honda sites, and everybody seems to be in agreement that it should take little effort to remove this shaft once the spanner nut and lock nut are off, but it just will NOT come out. I can jiggle the swingarm and watch the locknut side of the pivot shaft move, so it's got to be close. But 120 ft/lbs of reverse force and it won't come out has got me scratching my head. The Captain Obvious stuff isn't it either, spring/shock is out and rear wheel is off, no weight on the swingarm, blah blah.

I'm having a hard time understanding why your problem exists. If the bolt is seized in the aluminum, then heat and brute force is the answer. However, it seems there's something else involved. Here's some pictures of the assembly...perhaps that will clear things up for you. Pardon the size, I felt that more resolution might give the best possible understanding.

This picture gives you the overall orientation with copper fork slides in place to clarify where the frame would be in this assembly.

post-4340-1224445078.jpg

Here's a closeup from the previous picture.

post-4340-1224445148.jpg

This shows the right side with the bolt, collar, and lock ring in place.

post-4340-1224445219.jpg

This is with the lock ring removed from the collar.

post-4340-1224445283.jpg

Then with the bolt pulled out of the collar.

post-4340-1224445327.jpg

Here are two more varied pictures of the right side assembly. In the second one you can clearly see the hex backside of the swingarm bolt.

post-4340-1224445349.jpg

post-4340-1224445357.jpg

This last picture shows the inset of the collar that the hex backside of the bolt fits into.

post-4340-1224445379.jpg

This better help. While I was fucking around editing pictures for you, I missed my eGay auction. VFR bars went for $71. Dammit to hell.....

That does show me what I needed to know. The problem I'm having is that the pivot shaft will not come out of that collar. Looks like it's time to whip out the 10lb sledge and get to pounding on that pivot shaft. It must be seized in the collar.

Years ago (as in the 70's) one of the things I invented was a heat treated driver to punch out rusted axles with a impact hammer.

While the other mechanics were pounding away with their big hammers, I'd already have it out.

So -- a driver and an air impact hammer.