CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike is dead, Advice Needed

jab13

I got on my bike after work, and when I turned my key to the run position the lights came on, the fuel pump ran for a moment, all as normal. As soon as I pressed the starter button the bike went completely dead. Checked the battery leads, they were tight. Checked the fuses all were good. Hauled it home, charged the battery same result. Any suggestions.

Easy first...

Check to make sure it is in nuetral

Check to make sure the kill switch is in the"RUN" position

If that dosent work most likely ..

Dead cell(s) in battery, take it to the auto parts & have them load test the battery (if it passes, have them check it twice to be sure)

That make three. They come in three's you know.

Shorted battery.

remove the battery and check the voltage...mine was 12.5

Connected, 5 volts with the key on.

Started it 30 min's before and rode 40 miles. Dead,dead ,dead.

That make three. They come in three's you know.

Shorted battery.

remove the battery and check the voltage...mine was 12.5

Connected, 5 volts with the key on.

Started it 30 min's before and rode 40 miles. Dead,dead ,dead.

EXACTLY!!...listen to Stan the Man! Same thing happened to me thousands of miles from home. I spent half a day tryng to find the short. The parts stores don't usually do a "load" test when they check your battery. Have them do one. It just takes a coupke more minutes.

Just curious.

Was there any warning before this happened (odd bike performace)?

A battery hitting the bricks can happen with no warning, but a short/ground killing things is usually caused by something.

Do let us know what you find out.

Thanks for all of the help. It was the battery. It went without warning. I read out all of the circuits and recharged the battery a couple of times, but still had the same problem. I finally put a new battery in. Everything is back to normal. I guess it was time. I bought the bird about 2 and 1/2 years ago and this is the first problem I have had. 2 CCT's and a set of sprockets and a chain, normal wear stuff ... I think that's pretty good for 20,000 miles of riding.

Thanks for all of the help. It was the battery. It went without warning. I read out all of the circuits and recharged the battery a couple of times, but still had the same problem. I finally put a new battery in. Everything is back to normal. I guess it was time. I bought the bird about 2 and 1/2 years ago and this is the first problem I have had. 2 CCT's and a set of sprockets and a chain, normal wear stuff ... I think that's pretty good for 20,000 miles of riding.

Good to hear I'm not the only one...

The same happened to me when I went to Krav Maga this past Aug. I almost lost my mind, an hour and a half before I was cooking my legs to a nice medium rare in noontime traffic and then nadda. New batt solved it.