CBR1100XX.org Forum

Break pad wear...

Zero Knievel

Obvious time to replace is when they wear unevenly or are down to the base, but I remember my last bike used pads where the center grove in the pad doubled as a wear indicator. When it was gone, it was time for new pads.

My current pads (IIRC) don't have a similar feature. At what thickness is replacement in order?

When there's no more friction material left.

Unfortunately, its not that easy or convenient to check every 50 miles or so, so you find yourself in the situation you're in now. If you're not the kind of person who cares to check them frequently, I suggest you replace them if they appear thinner than two pennies. Legal minimum for inspection in Pennsylvania is 2/32nds, which is about 1.5 penny-widths.

Be mindful that the left front caliper generally wears its pads at an angle, so that should be taken into consideration. Also, its really not necessary to replace pads that aren't as worn, as long as you frequently check them. I wouldn't switch brands, but if you always use EBC's, for instance, it wouldn't hurt to simply replace one out of a set. That being the case, you should also consider why one is worn, and not the other.

Hey, its just brakes....

Is something breaking?? Where??

Oh.. you mean BRAKES... Gotcha...

Mike :icon_evilgrin:

EEEEEK! My English teacher would be ashamed! :icon_redface:

I remember the vehicle inspection station guy saying my pads were low last year, but I don't see it. They all seem fine to me.

I agree that unless they are getting thin, there is no need to replace them, but without wear indicators (or unusual wear), how would you know when they are due for replacement?

Anyone know what the thickness of the pad is when it's new?

I go with the method Joe mentioned - any less than about 2 pennies showing and you're probably due soon.

FWIW, my last set of EBC HH pads lasted over 40K miles, they still looked pretty OK when I yanked them off... Being relatively light (180 lbs w/ gear) seems to have HUGE advantages in brake pad & tire wear - especially seeing as I abuse those components on a regular basis!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got new pads and mic'ed them against what came off the bike.

While each pad was at or just under "2 pennies" in thickness, they were just a tad worn compared to the new pads. I'd say a new pad is about 2 1/2 pennies thick. I couldn't justify replaceing them with so much left on them. So, I cleaned them, sanded the surfaces a tad, and since none of them showed unusual wear, I put them back on the bike and put the new pads in my "parts box" for when they will need replacement.

Based on what I see, I'd suggest a "1 penny" standard. When your pads are down to 1 penny in thickness it's getting close to replacement time.

It's all good.

I have pads for the next time I'll need them (a year or so perhaps), and I had to get to the pads anyhow to check them since both tires were being changed anyhow.

You'd think they'd put wear indicators on all brake pads, but there you go.

I just ordered a new set for the rear. I knew it was time when I went to pick up my son at his youth group meeting last week and I heard that sickening metal-on-metal sound. I didnt touch the rear brakes for the rest of the short trip but every bump I hit made it go <insert rubby-grindy sound>. :icon_doh:

gallery_3344_697_180951.jpg

I just ordered a new set for the rear. I knew it was time when I went to pick up my son at his youth group meeting last week and I heard that sickening metal-on-metal sound. I didnt touch the rear brakes for the rest of the short trip but every bump I hit made it go <insert rubby-grindy sound>. :icon_doh:

gallery_3344_697_180951.jpg

That's pretty much what my rears looked like 6 months after getting my XX :icon_surprised:

Looked at the fronts (EBC HH) and though they were a bit low weren't totally gone so I just got 2 new pair for the fronts and chucked a set of the fronts in the rear and did the same when they wore out and just recently changed all 3 full sets on my bike after having done 48 000km :icon_surprised: