CBR1100XX.org Forum

I don't know it annymore

Marc1100xx

After i've changed the tires to MPR2 en placed tapered bearings i've got a weave in the bike

Until 140 km/h the bike is stable and beyond this speed the bike goes light on the wheels and starts waeving

Like this picture

weave2S10.gif

Last week with passenger the bike felt not strange at 170 km/h and also with the topcase on.

Thursday i noticed it realy good on the autobahn, i could not exceed speeds over 140-155 km/h but on the nurburgring the bike felt great in corners.

Very stable but hell no if i went over 140-155 km/h.

Friday 500 km/h through the eifel with hairpins it felt great, so on low speeds it is fine.

In the old situation a few weeks ago i went over 245km/h and no problem for me. (old steeringhead bearing with deadpoint and 11000 km old roadtec z6)

What i did so far:

New tires MPR2

changed with old ones.

steeringhead tighter and loser

New steeringhead bearings

Felt for freeplay in wheels, suspension and swingarm

forks don't leak.

no sounds or clicking when suspension is pressed

With cases and no cases (givi)

With more weight on the bike it is less noticeable and comes in later.

So I do not know it anymore

It's your suspension ride heights, and spring preloads that are giving you fits.

I'll go see if I can find the thread you need to read.

Edited: Here it is... read this thread.. http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...p;hl=suspension

Ok but why was the bike stable before the new tires and steeringheadbearings with the same suspension setup.

I have now changed it but there is no progression in stability.

I was talking to Rick at Cogent Dynamics about weave today and he mentioned that if Michelins aren't seated properly they can produce weave. Also, that steering head bearings are the prime culprit most of the time.

I was talking to Rick at Cogent Dynamics about weave today and he mentioned that if Michelins aren't seated properly they can produce weave. Also, that steering head bearings are the prime culprit most of the time.

I have Michelin Pilot Powers and they weave (especially at lower and freeway speeds 45-70 mph, the grooved concrete highways here in North Florida are a bitch) perhaps they were seated wrong? 2+2=???

I've been mucking about with tire pressure and did not want to get into suspension stuffs, perhaps that's the answer.....

anyone else find this?

Today i went to Hyperpro and they said that the front suspension is very weak.

They are going to reshim them and have a look at the stearingheadbearings.

The bearings have a strange spot, maybe a faulty installation.

Hyperpro also will place a spacer on the rear shock for better handling.

The rear shock is still good, so i do not replace this now but when the bike hits 70000 km i wil place a new one.

I hope to have a bike that rides like new this friday.

I hope to have a bike that rides like new this friday.

And the verdict is????? (Friday has ended here in Holland)

Not yet Frank, still 57 minutes to go

I've got new front springs and reshimed teh front suspension.

The oil was 6 years old and needs to be replaced about 2 years or 20000 km.

New steeringheadbearings, i've maybe installed them not good. There was also a spot on the frame so the bearings did not fit right. They have to remove it first.

The rear shock has been adjusted and for the short ride home it felt like a new bike.

SO now i'm saving money for a new rear shock.

It's your suspension ride heights, and spring preloads that are giving you fits.

Edited: Here it is... read this thread.. http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...p;hl=suspension

As in that thread I have had problems with weaving as well and haven't got rid of it totally :icon_confused:

I did loosen the SHB's but it still did it, the trouble for me is I changed a lot in one go :icon_surprised: So trying to pinpoint the cause isn't easy :icon_rolleyes:

I have a PPf and PR2r, 6mm shim and newer front forks with heavier springs :icon_confused:

My sags are within normal ranges and mine seems to do it mostly around 180-200 kmh :icon_surprised:

Do you still have the center stand?

I am thinking that "the Numbers" have something to do with this. I was able to make it happen with the ZXXX by reducing the preload adjustments.

Check the distance on the centerstand from the gound to the front lip of the bodywork. And how far from the ground is the rear tire, if at all.

Did you go with stock bearings in the steering or tapered.

Check the alignment of the rear to the front,

I found that when the front dim got to 6 inch with the rear touching the ground but able to spin would do the slow weave. Went away at 6.25.

As in that thread I have had problems with weaving as well and haven't got rid of it totally :icon_confused:

I did loosen the SHB's but it still did it, the trouble for me is I changed a lot in one go :icon_surprised: So trying to pinpoint the cause isn't easy :icon_rolleyes:

I have a PPf and PR2r, 6mm shim and newer front forks with heavier springs :icon_confused:

My sags are within normal ranges and mine seems to do it mostly around 180-200 kmh :icon_surprised:

The guy at Hyperpro said that it could be the Pilot Road tires, he had a other biker who got also a weave at higher speeds and also changed to MPR's.

I have a small weave at 180+ so i can live with that for now, but will change the tires back to Roadec Z6.

I have not felt a single weave with that tire, and i know that my previous VFR8 also felt light with Michelins. ( maybe it's not my tire)