CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shop lights. Any suggestions?

LogoMan

I've got one incandescent light fixture in the ceiling of my garage. Short of putting in banks of flourescents are there lights on stands or something similar anyone could recommend?

I've got one incandescent light fixture in the ceiling of my garage. Short of putting in banks of flourescents are there lights on stands or something similar anyone could recommend?

300w bulbs are your friend.

100119477.jpg

Yes, there's a flourecent fixture over the workbench, but it add little to the overall brightness of the garage. I put two 300w bulbs up top "until I have time to do something better". That was six years ago.

300w bulbs are your friend.

100119477.jpg

Yes, there's a flourecent fixture over the workbench, but it add little to the overall brightness of the garage. I put two 300w bulbs up top "until I have time to do something better". That was six years ago.

Sweet. That's a nice amount of light. It's too bright for me to figure out what you did, though. Are these single bulbs? Easy to wire into the panel?

I have 12 sets of $7.99 2 strip flourescents in the garage and I LOVE IT !

Bulbs & balasts are going on 5 years with out a hook. Plug right into a 110 outlet...they go up in about 5 minutes a piece.

12 sets? Holy crap. I have a couple 110 outlets in the garage. The garage door opener is plugged into one. I'd just as soon bolt up a couple of banks of flourescents and wire them into the panel but a couple of 300 watt bulbs like Tim has would be the easiest.

If you're lazy like me, you might try screwing a high wattage halogen lamp (like this: 90W halogen) into that fixture. Also, Home Dee Pot sells a metal halogen fixture for about $10 that takes up to a 150 watt tubular halogen lamp. It can be angled so you can direct the light where it'll do the most good.

(For what it's worth: there isn't a tungsten lamp left in our hacienda. Everything is either halogen or CFL. I can't remember the last time I changed a light bulb.)

It's too bright for me to figure out what you did, though. Are these single bulbs? Easy to wire into the panel?

They screw into a standard bulb socket, that's the beauty of it. No wiring, no nothing, just spend 5-6 bucks on the lightbulb from hell and screw it into your existing fixture. These things are hot, so keep that in mind when using them.

There's two of them in the picture I posted.

It's too bright for me to figure out what you did, though. Are these single bulbs? Easy to wire into the panel?

They screw into a standard bulb socket, that's the beauty of it. No wiring, no nothing, just spend 5-6 bucks on the lightbulb from hell and screw it into your existing fixture. These things are hot, so keep that in mind when using them.

There's two of them in the picture I posted.

Sounds good. I'll start with one of them and see how that goes. I think I may change my fixture though. That'll be cheap enough.

Randy, you're a geek.

You need no more lighting. You beady little eyes are already overwhelmed.

Friggin' guy. You know what I do with all my spare time, yet you post something so blatently silly.

You just wait till' I get over there. I'll light yer shit up for ya' !

I have 2, 4', double bulb T8 florescent fixtures. Bought them at Home Depot for about $10 each plus $4 for bulbs.

I love the greyish light the T8's give off. Very nice look to them that doesn't strain the eyes. There are different colors you can get.

Randy, you're a geek.

You need no more lighting. You beady little eyes are already overwhelmed.

Friggin' guy. You know what I do with all my spare time, yet you post something so blatently silly.

You just wait till' I get over there. I'll light yer shit up for ya' !

Stop cryin' ya big baby.

I'm an equal opportunity advice-getter. It's nice to know what everyone else is doing.

I planned on using you for the technical stuff - like how to hook a rheostat up to a bank of flourescents.