CBR1100XX.org Forum

Elec. help/bike dead on side of road

firedad415

Hey folks... I am literally dead on the side of the road on I64 in VA. (wireless is awesome)

Bike started fine this AM, bike ran fine for an hour.. then guages started to go dead. RPM to zero, then speedo to zero. This happened on and off for a few minutes. Bike shut off at rest stop. Wouldnt start on it's own. Push started ok. Ran fine for a few more minutes... then guages did their thing again. Bike stumbled to a dead off. Wouldnt start back again. here I am watching the traffic go by waiting for my buds to go back and get the sag wagon and my other bike so we can finish our (now trailered trip) to Canada.

I did the FI fix per the forums instructions two years ago. New battery two years ago. Running original 1999 R/R. Checked all connections, terminals, etc. Took apart connections and retorqued, etc. Yes it is full of gas!

??????????????? Suggestions??????????????

H E L P !!!!!

Ugh, suck. I recently had a ground problem that made the FI surge and die. Both the negative terminal on the battery and the bike ground were loose. Once tightened back up everything was fine. Check all the grounds and look around to see if you've got any worn wire insulation on anything major. If all that fails, you could start to remove fuses from non-essential circuits to see if you'll get lucky and have it be something you ride home without.

Other than that, I'm out of electrical ideas :(

Bun

You have low voltage.

Next is to understand why. Because you were able to push start and then the bike died, it sounds as though you have no output from the stator.

This could be a bad connection at the battery or at ground, a bad regulator, a bad stator, or a combination of all of the above.

Technically, your actions should be:

Remove and charge the battery

Test the battery for voltage and whether it can carry a load

Install a good battery, whether its your battery that tested good, or a new battery.

Start the bike and run the diagnostics on the charging system. My guess is that you'll find little or no stator output measured at the battery terminals.

Short fix:

Switch batteries with a friend, and ride on battery while yours recharges in his bike. (pull your headlight fuse so you don't use that current) If you get pulled over for not having headlight on, find the loose fuse, fix the problem, and you probably won't get ticketed. Alternatively you can buy a battery for $50 at Walmart. If yours is 2 years old, its probably at least 50% used statistically unless its some high end battery so you're not completely blowing the money.

Get to a place where there's cover, tools, and a voltmeter, and do the above.

You have low voltage.

Next is to understand why. Because you were able to push start and then the bike died, it sounds as though you have no output from the stator.

This could be a bad connection at the battery or at ground, a bad regulator, a bad stator, or a combination of all of the above.

Technically, your actions should be:

Remove and charge the battery

Test the battery for voltage and whether it can carry a load

Install a good battery, whether its your battery that tested good, or a new battery.

Start the bike and run the diagnostics on the charging system. My guess is that you'll find little or no stator output measured at the battery terminals.

Short fix:

Switch batteries with a friend, and ride on battery while yours recharges in his bike. (pull your headlight fuse so you don't use that current) If you get pulled over for not having headlight on, find the loose fuse, fix the problem, and you probably won't get ticketed. Alternatively you can buy a battery for $50 at Walmart. If yours is 2 years old, its probably at least 50% used statistically unless its some high end battery so you're not completely blowing the money.

Get to a place where there's cover, tools, and a voltmeter, and do the above.

Joe.. thanks a lot for the help and the offers. A really appreciate it. Powering off the laptop to save battery now.

I'll let you guys know how it turned out!

Is that you Scott?

Sorry to hear about the predicament. What are the other guys with you doing (other than perhaps snickering)? :icon_wink:

Mike,

Jason and Ricky went to get the truck and trailer and my backup bike (DR650). We are still determined to drive straight thru to Canada tonight. They should be here to load up the Bird within the next 30 min's. Until then, I just blew up my air mattress and took a nap... til some spider ran across my face and woke me! We are hoping for Toronto by 1 or 2 am.... (As thunder cracks loudly in the background)... Still going to make it to Bob's on Thursday, try to fix the Bird and make the rally.

Scott,

Can't make the rally this year. Burned too much vacation at the WV rally and other trips.

I appreciate the offer! I really wish i could be there.

Good luck getting the bike fixed. I have a manual on my PC, you can call me if you need me to walk through anything with you.

910-431-8318 (cell)

Dave

Scott,

Can't make the rally this year. Burned too much vacation at the WV rally and other trips.

I appreciate the offer! I really wish i could be there.

Good luck getting the bike fixed. I have a manual on my PC, you can call me if you need me to walk through anything with you.

910-431-8318 (cell)

Dave

Enroute now... it was a long wait for my buddies, but, it"s all good. Should get to Canada by 3am or so.