CBR1100XX.org Forum

Honda Civic surging. Any ideas why?

LogoMan

My old tired '98 Honda Civic has been sitting for a couple of weeks awaiting its sale, and when I started it up yesterday the "check engine" light was on and it was rhythmically surging like it was starving for air every other 3 seconds. Weird. I couldn't find anything obviously wrong with vacuum hoses, electrical connectors, etc. under the hood. It has a new air filter and all the fluids are topped up.

Any ideas?

Check the codes. If you don't have an OBDC II code reader, some auto parts stores will read the codes for you. My bet is that a sensor has gone bad, causing both your check engine light and surging.

Around here Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone will read the codes for free.

Check the codes. If you don't have an OBDC II code reader, some auto parts stores will read the codes for you. My bet is that a sensor has gone bad, causing both your check engine light and surging.

Around here Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone will read the codes for free.

I figured it was a sensor of some sort. I forgot to ask for an OBDC II code reader for Christmas. Damn. I'll take it up to Advance and see what those goons can do for me.

Thanks!

It's real easy, Dave. It's about a 10 minute job even if you're a so-so wrench. You'll need a 12mm and an 8mm socket, some plyers and maybe a screwdriver to loosen up the coolant hoses to work them off. I didn't even damage the throttle body base gasket.

When you get the damn palm-sized part off you'll wonder why in the heck it costs so much.

Yup..i was going to say idle air valve/sensor. They stick on old cars when they sit.

How do i know? I just got an engine put in my Altima, that had been shelved in a warehouse for a few years. Bad IAV.