CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Brake Caliper - Rebuild Piston Seals

ActionStarCBRxx

Greetings,

I am replacing the piston seals in the front brake calipers. I started with the left caliper... I unloosened the bolts and pulled the caliper free and removed everything from the caliper except the fluid draining nipples. I then used an air hose to push the pistons out by spraying the air in the inlet hoses.

The center piston, and one of the outer ones have come free from the caliper, but there is one there that I can't seem to get out. The inlet hoses only seem to affect one center and one of the outers. I was "expecting" the center inlet to control the center piston, and the outer inlet to push out the two outer pistons... but alas it did not work that way. The book states that using air down the inlet holes is supposed to work.

Any ideas or solutions?

post-3506-1220486524.jpg

I dunno, maybe the Transformer (or is it an Autobot?) whichever, can deploy a nanobot into the stuck caliper and push it out. I saw it in a movie once.

ok seriously,

Shove the other two pistons back in. Secure the two pistons you put back in. Remove the bleeder screws. Apply air pressure to the bleeder screw hole for the outer pistons. The stuck one should pop free. Now remove the ones you stuck back in, which should be easier to get out that the stuck one was.

Is that piston a common one to stick? Anyone know? I wonder if that is the cause of the tapered wear pattern that the front brake pads seem to acquire? One piston by design is more likely to supply the "bulk" of the braking force under most conditions maybe...???

This isn't that complicated guys.

Do it just like you did the first time, except hold your hand over the hole for the other outer cylinder so that air pressure can build behind the piston giving you the trouble.

If that doesn't work, try what MrBadXXample said.

It is always best to remove the calipers and pump the pistons out as far as they will go (with pads still in place) before removing any banjo bolts. Then you have more piston to get a hold of.

Hobie, I know what you're thinking. :icon_nono: