CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pro-Oiler Mount Broke

Zero Knievel

Well, I wondered why the mount for my Pro-Oiler looked angled when I was certain I put it on square with the swingarm. One of the two mounting screws sheared off and the mount pivoted to the new position.

It was fastened in place with two self-tapping screws. I do not want to put more holes into the swingarm to reattach it. Last time, when I put it on, I used some clear gasket sealer to "lock" the bolts so they could not work loose on their own (that seemed smart and appears to have worked great).

Those who have a Pro-Oiler know the dispersing nozzles are on a pivot mount, so I don't see how any angle issues should have made this happen.

I'll be working with an "easy out" to get the other bolt out of the swingarm and then I'll need two new bolts....probably something better than the ones that came with the unit.

Anyone else have this happen to them? How did you fix it? I can't see why I would want to mount the mounting bracket at an angle. For all I know, what snapped one of the bolts might have been something smacking it while riding that applied just enough force to make one of the bolts shear.

I am also experiencing nozzle mount issues. My original nozzles clogged up late last year and it was almost impossible to correctly clean them, so I ordered replacement nozzles. I was sent a whole new nozzle assembly, which was billed as new and improved. It did not fit the original mounting bracket exactly, but like you, I was not keen on drilling more holes. I got it in and aligned and it seemed to be OK, but I did have numerous occasions on my trip of the whole thingamajig just falling off.

I am going to be a dualsport motoring this week where Francois (sp) has a replacement for me. I am going to insist on the old nozzle assembly, or at least what I originally asked for, which is two little bitty pieces of plastic tubing.

I will tell you that it is essential that you take care when replacing the rear wheel to spread the nozzles as you pass the sprocket through them. I think that is how I fucked mine up to begin with. I don't know...that's an awful lot of care for a fat old buzzed fart like me to take.

Best wishes

Well, I don't recall how I did things originally, but I do notice that the swingarm flares out near the end, so the bracket shouldn't be square with the swingarm.

I used a ruler to see if the bracket was straight with the chain. It seemed so. Found a replacement bolt and I used locking washers as a safety. The oiler unit itself may or may not have come with a locking washer, but I ALWAYS used a locking washer on the bolt that attaches it to the mounting bracket. It has never come loose or fallen off. I've never had a problem with getting it over the sprocket (so far).

All of this started because I wanted to put a wire protector sheath over the oil like to keep some crud off and add a layer of protection against chain friction. That's how I discovered the one bolt had sheared. I could have let it be, but that would mean only one bolt keeping things together.

About the only complaint I have about the Pro-Oiler is that the oil line is so darn long on the nozzle assembly that you can't route the feed line too many places without kinking the joining tube. I wish Pro-Oiler included a 45 degree and 90 degree angled bit of hose so you can divert the feed line to the sprocket any way you want. I'm itchy about bending the line too much because it will go 90 degrees on that soft connection tube, and I suspect I could be cutting the oil supply by doing that where a pre-formed line wouldn't have that problem. My feed line follows the chain guide on the swingarm, and I know the chain slaps it from time to time. No problems so far, but the last time I tried putting a sheath on the oil line, friction from the chain flung it half-off after a few hundred miles. Routing the oil feed is probably the most problematic part of installation.