CBR1100XX.org Forum

Slow return to idle

R1000

A friends Bird -97 is a bit slow in returning to idle when getting off the throttle on neutral. The rpm hesitate to drop from e.g. 4krpm down to 1500, so it will take about a second or two. Definitely longer than what is felt to be normal anyway. Anyone having had the same sympthoms and know what the reason could be? The throttles moves freely in the bores, the wires have some slack and the diafragms are OK. All hoses to carb and vents are connected.

Assuming mechanical portions of the carbs (throttle, etc) are all good, my experience has been that when you have those kinds of things going on, it's usually a carb synch issue.

Assuming mechanical portions of the carbs (throttle, etc) are all good, my experience has been that when you have those kinds of things going on, it's usually a carb synch issue.

Carbs are just synched and it was the same before and the mechanical components moves freely :icon_neutral: The return to idle is not momentary delayed, it is the rpm that falls lineary at an unusual slow rate.

The last few times I've had something like this (on other bikes) it's been an air leak downstream of the carbs. Maybe they were shifted when they were synched?

What may be shifted ?

If the carbs are synced and you have checked all the vac lines, you might try turning in the idle mixtures 1/2 turn. See if it gets better or worsens.

Aah, you may be into something, I believe they are almost 3 turns out at the moment.

DEFINITELY check for Vac leaks first, as it is common and easily overlooked. This is from a factory jet kit site. They have a bunch of tuning tips. Some are good, and some not.

"# NOTE: A lean problem gets better as the engine heats up.

* If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm "hangs up" before dropping to the set idle speed, and there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm, the mixture screws are probably too lean: try 1/2 turn out, to richen mixture. Be sure there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm!"

As stated,if it is not the return spring, then vacuum leaks. You can take a can of WD40 and spray all around the carbs while the bike is running...if there is a vacuum leak, you will notice a change in idle speed when the spray is sealing the leak momentarily. Good way to find the affected area.

As stated,if it is not the return spring, then vacuum leaks. You can take a can of WD40 and spray all around the carbs while the bike is running...if there is a vacuum leak, you will notice a change in idle speed when the spray is sealing the leak momentarily. Good way to find the affected area.

A cleaner method is to use, LPG or LP-gas from a small hand held torch, turn the torch gas on & fumigate it around the suspected areas if you notice an idle change, there is a leak

A cleaner method is to use, LPG or LP-gas from a small hand held torch, turn the torch gas on & fumigate it around the suspected areas if you notice an idle change, there is a leak

Beat me to it.... geeesh, using wd-40 would make a mess lol!

Neat freek girly mans you both are! :icon_evilgrin: Do you keep wet wipes next to bed on a doily for cum spots??

Neat freek girly mans you both are! :icon_evilgrin: Do you keep wet wipes next to bed on a doily for cum spots??

:icon_lmao: :icon_lmao:

actually, I just don't have sex, it's too dirty...

• 2 weeks later...

The reason to the slow engine speed return to idle is found. The initial compression test indicated something was wrong; the cylinder pressure was 170 PSI on one cylinder and 195 on another.

The intake valves on two cylinders leaks quite a bit. This was found by applying air pressure to the cylinders, which was connected instead of the ignition plugs. When this was done it was easy to hear and feel the airflow coming out from the intake runners.

/ Sherlock Holmes