CBR1100XX.org Forum

Penske shock

Dotetcher

The '97 XX I bought recently came with a Penske shock without the remote adjustor. I've noticed that the ride on this bike is significantly stiffer than on my old XX with the stock shock. I'm still in pain from the accident in June and the stiffer ride is bothering my back. What adjustments can I make to this shock to soften the ride. TIA

Skip

Is there a top collar nut on the spring? if so back that off a little and lower your preload.

Sorry that's all I got. I'm not very well versed on Penske shocks(I'm too poor).

P.S. look for a damper adj. screw and turn to S for soft.

Was the previous owner of the bike the original purchaser of the shock and if he was, do you 2 weigh the same?

Having said that, did you check the sag and set it?

IIRC, the Sport Penske (non remote) has a preload adjuster on the spring and a Rebound adjuster on the bottom of the shock. Rick at Cogent Dynamics, who just did the Penske group buy, told me to back off the rebound a couple clicks at a time till the bike started to feel loose and then tighten that adjustment a couple clicks. I'm guessing if you have the right spring rate that setting the sag and then playing with the rebound will straighten things out. If you need a better explanation or a different spring, get in touch with Rick...Hank