CBR1100XX.org Forum

WHEEL ALIGNMENT ISSUE

TFT

At the end of the riding season last year I had the local Honda shop install a new chain. A few days ago I noticed the chain needed adjusting. When I went to adjust it I noticed that on one side of the axle the adjuster was at the 2nd notch, on the other side the adjuster was at the 3rd adjusting notch. I adjusted the chain and corrected the alignment. When I rotated the wheel after adjusting the chain to check the slack I noticed that the disc "drags" at one point. The drag (contact) is minor but it does exist.

Could the misalignment have caused any damage? Would it shorten the life of the chain or tire? Is that error in adjustment enough to have cause tire wear problems?

Fucking dealership!!! :icon_mad:

When I bought the SV650, the hooplehead had it that way too. I didn't notice anything wrong.... except the tire was worn very unevenly. Just like a vehicle out of alignment. Tread at X depth on one side, and minus a couple mm's on the other side. Everything has seemed fine. But maybe the caliper is more forgiving on the SV. (?)

I'm quite anal about wheel alignment after finding that mine was a mile out due to shoddy work when my tyres were replaced. I subsequently made myself a simple laser alignment device from materials I had at hand which is really quick to use. There are better ways of making them more professionally but have attached the write-up in case it's of any interest.

Cheers,

Geoff

Wheel_Alignment_using_a_Laser.pdf

I didn't think anyone relied on the marks provided from the factory anymore for wheel alignment. I, and most riders I know, always use manual methods to iniitally align the wheels front to rear whenever the rear wheel's been off, and then simply use the "turn 1 flat of the adjuster on each side at a time" approach to adjust the chain to ensure alignment is maintained. JMHO

Geoff,

Great to see your post.

I have been using a variation of Geoff's laser tool for a couple of years. I purchased a level with a laser in it at a truck tool sale and place it across the rear tire front to back. I made a target assembly like shown on his link.

Once made, it quickly aligns the bike. You can really feel the difference when the bike is aligned.

I recently adjusted my chain, and now notice I hear a clicking noise bouncing back at me whenever I go thru a set of twisties on the highway. The bike seems to track straight, but the only thing I could think of that would cause this was wheel misalignment & resulting chain/sprocket noise.

I bought the cheapo Motion Pro wheel alignment tool (the one with a long straight rod with a base that clamps to your sprocket) today, and the alignment seems about as good as I'll get it.

Any clue what else may be causing this noise? Is it normal? (am I paranoid???) I only hear it when I'm riding in close proximity to a median barrier or road guard where the sound bounces back at me.

Tom:

Check out this site:

http://www.project-one.us/

med_gallery_76_646_32103.jpg

They make a pretty kick ass alignment tool, and it's inexpensive (Mine's actually DavesXX01's.... :icon_biggrin: )

Then again.. I don't like to pay people to do stuff I can do myself:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=53782

Also.. Speedygeezer was working on a nifty alignment tool he was showing off at OzarXX this year. Might want to send him a PM.

I've always used the marks on the factory chain adjusters and its always looked dead-on. I remove the chain guard so I can look right down the chain towards the front sprocket to confirm. I was off about a quarter of a mark one time (vision going bad with age), and I could easily see it was off.

Another way to tell is if your rear sprocket teeth are polished(or scratched) on one side and not the other, your alignment is off. You should be able to figure out which way.

I use the threaded rod in the rear axle and also in the frame. Measure close to the bike and out at teh end. Make small adjustments till they are equal.

Only takes a few minutes to do..

Can't say I've ever heard of this method, but it sounds like it will work real well if you can find two perfectly straight pieces of rod. Good luck.

One question: What do you do if you have a solid rear axle? :icon_eh: This is a BB forum you know.