CBR1100XX.org Forum

Are 99' and up recifiers better than 97-98'?

silverbird1100

From everything I'ver ever seen or read - yes.

They were somewhat larger and had cooling fins too to aid in heat dispertion. I myself had to replace my '98 rec/reg with the often referred to Yamaha R1 from a salvage yard.

Cheers,

Kevin

Something you should know if you're thinking about replacing your early model R/R with a later one is; the later one has an extra connection that stops it from trying to produce the juice until the engine is started. As far as I know, nobody has successfully got one to work on an early model XX... Several, however, have done the Yamaha R1 R/R, and it seems to work fine. I have sold a connector "kit" for it in the past, and have recently ordered more, and should have them relitively soon... I have done it as more of a service to the group, because I don't make much of anything on them... it's just that they are a very specific connector, and you can order them through your motorcycle shop, if you know what you're looking for (they're made by K&L, who makes mostly motorcycle service tools/lifts/etc), but they only come in packs of (10) connectors, (50) female pins, and (50) male pins...

Mike

Also, electrosport has an after-market R/R for the Bird...

http://www.electrosport.com/products/product-detail-1832.php

Looks likes it's out of stock ATM, but they should be getting more in

I've been lucky enough to not try an Electrosport, because I prefer to learn from other peoples' mistakes instead of making them for myself... From what I gather, the OEM carb'd R/R is better than the Electrosport one... Several people around here have gone that route and had it fail within a month or so, then ended up going with SOME OEM fitment in the end, anyway...

BTW, apparently, the revised OEM unit for the carb'd 'birds now has fins and such on it, and is probably better because of it, though I have no first hand knowledge.

Whatever R/R you get, get it from University Motors Fargo, and be sure to tell them you're a member here... The last R1 R/R I got from them was ~$60 (they were $48 a year and a half ago), and they sell the OEM Honda ones for... I think it was less than $100...

Mike

Mike,

When you make up some connector kits I would like to get one from you.Not having any problems yet but if and when i do i will go w/an R1 setup.

Thanks in advance,

John

When you make up some connector kits I would like to get one from you.Not having any problems yet but if and when i do i will go w/an R1 setup.

That's what I did. I have a 97 and never any trouble but instead of taking the chance of burning up the wires or something, I just changed to a R-1, cheap, easy and quick.

Have a 99. The stock unit went tits up at about 46k.

Something you should know if you're thinking about replacing your early model R/R with a later one is; the later one has an extra connection that stops it from trying to produce the juice until the engine is started. As far as I know, nobody has successfully got one to work on an early model XX... Several, however, have done the Yamaha R1 R/R, and it seems to work fine. I have sold a connector "kit" for it in the past, and have recently ordered more, and should have them relitively soon... I have done it as more of a service to the group, because I don't make much of anything on them... it's just that they are a very specific connector, and you can order them through your motorcycle shop, if you know what you're looking for (they're made by K&L, who makes mostly motorcycle service tools/lifts/etc), but they only come in packs of (10) connectors, (50) female pins, and (50) male pins...

Mike

I got a later model RR to work on my 97 XX restoration project, but it took some work.

The plugs are completely different. For the 97/98, the stator/RR plug is one connector with 5 wires (3 yellow, 1 green, 1 red/white) , for the 01+ models, it's 2 connectors, one with 3 yellow wires, one with 5 wires (2 green, 2 red/white, and a black wire).

For the stator wires:

On the 97, the plug for the stator runs into the main wiring harness by the engine and then comes out by the RR on the left side of the bike. The stator and RR wiring is all part of one plug.

On the 01, there's a much longer wire right out the stator which runs along the left side of the bike where it plugs into the RR as a separate plug. If you can get a later model stator, you'll get considerably more available wattage, and a connector that plugs right in..

For the RR part of it, the wiring is all pretty different, too. The wires out of the 97/98 RR are Green and Red/White, and are all part of the single connector.

For the 01+, there's 2 green and 2 red/white, and an extra black wire, all in it's own connector. You will need to basically split the green wire from the harness into 2 separate wires, and the same for the red/white. The black wire is a voltage sense wire Following the wiring diagram, I found that it's tapped into the tail light, on the positive side (not the ground, it's actually important). So you will need to run a line from there to the black wire on the RR.

Also, electrosport has an after-market R/R for the Bird...

http://www.electrosport.com/products/product-detail-1832.php

Looks likes it's out of stock ATM, but they should be getting more in

I've been lucky enough to not try an Electrosport, because I prefer to learn from other peoples' mistakes instead of making them for myself... From what I gather, the OEM carb'd R/R is better than the Electrosport one... Several people around here have gone that route and had it fail within a month or so, then ended up going with SOME OEM fitment in the end, anyway...

BTW, apparently, the revised OEM unit for the carb'd 'birds now has fins and such on it, and is probably better because of it, though I have no first hand knowledge.

Whatever R/R you get, get it from University Motors Fargo, and be sure to tell them you're a member here... The last R1 R/R I got from them was ~$60 (they were $48 a year and a half ago), and they sell the OEM Honda ones for... I think it was less than $100...

Mike

Fair enough, I haven't used the the electrosport R/R, but I have their stator and it's great, gobs of power compared to the stock unit, and seems very well built, so I assumed the stator was high quality as well. Right now I am using a replacement R/R I got from a local mc shop, no-name knock off... seems to do everything it should... I keep the Honda R/R in my tool bag in case I have a failure along my travels.

Mike

if you have a connector kit I am interested in purchasing it as well.

Thanks le Coq

BTW, apparently, the revised OEM unit for the carbed 'birds now has fins and such on it, and is probably better because of it, though I have no first hand knowledge.

Mike

Yes the later upgraded OEM RR has fins and is slightly larger as well :icon_think: I replaced mine about a year and a 1/2 ago with the upgraded OEM and so far so good :icon_biggrin:

Thanks to Mike (bartonmd) I have converted my 97 XX to an R1 R/R & my wifes 94 CBR 600 F2 also.

With the stuff Mike gets he made a sort of adapter plug so I can unplug it all and go back to stock if needed.

I think I had to go to the hardware store to get longer bolts. The new R/R is thicker.

The R1 R/R needed to have the mount holes elongated to fit but no problem with a drill.