CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Life

jimakazi

After 24,000km on the original chain I had a new ["significant upgade" to quote the parts dude] RK Gold X Ring chain and new sprokets fitted to my blackbird.

From day one this was never in the green "new chain" zone on the ajustment. Anyway 12,000km later it's in the "replace chain" zone on the adjustment. The bike shop assures me the chain is still OK BUT claim if they remove a link it won't fit back on the bike. As I am going to shortly run out of adjustment I'm really pissed off :evil:

What would be the advise on

[1] what to do with the current chain, and

[2] what would be a good replacement chain?

I've heard of this before on replacement chains, but never seen it, myself, where the replacement chain was slightly longer than the original, even though the link count was the same.

Where did the chain start it's life? On the edge of green, or nowhere near?

I would assume that one link would make a larger difference than 1/8" of adjustment, but I've been wrong before. :sad:

Same thing when I replaced mine, it started life about 1/3 of the way into the green. My sprockets are both OEM.

Bugged me when I installed it, but I got over it. Never occured to me that it'll be a problem later in the chain's life, but I guess I have a similar problem in my future :sad: .

Now I'm gonna go count my links..........

The chain has 110 links. The rear sproket has 44 teeth. I didn't check the front as I don't have a new gasket for the clutch release mechanism.

It started life on the edge if the green area, it was never in the new chain area. Now just on the border of ereplace chain after 12,600km [8000 miles] which just sucks.