CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rubber Grommet Nuts - Updated, W Pics

Hobicus

But that's not what I'm talking about.. I'm talking about things like the rubber wind screen nuts that fit into the hole in the bottom of your wind screen. The ones that came there stock were flattened and stay in the hole pretty darn well. You have to usually spin them around a couple times and flatten them through if you're changing to a different wind screen.

If you buy replacement ones (for whatever reason, like they wore out, or you lost one) what you get from the dealer doesn't look like the same thing. They're longer and straighter, and fall right out of the hole in which they are supposed to stay. They will work, because when you tighten them up, they expand and do the job, but pretty much from then on you're almost guaranteed to lose them when you pull the wind screen.

So.. my question to the group.. is there a way that anyone knows to mold the replacment ones back into how they look OEM? Maybe something you coat them with, or heat, etc, that would cause them to retain their tightened shape permanently?

Here's what they look like when you get them:

post-76-1216768772.jpg

And when you tighten them down, they compress and expand, and look like this:

post-76-1216768953.jpg

So what I want them to do is stay the installed shape after you remove the screw. so they don't fall out. The factory ones are the same part, but they don't return to their original shape when you remove the screw.

Guest cudgel

Go to your favorite hardware store and ask for metric well nuts. Take along one of your screws so you get the right size, i.e. 4-5-6mm. Or go to www.desomoparts.com, they have them.

So are you saying the well nuts are supposed to stay in the screen? :icon_confused:

Last time I removed my screen the nuts were into the frame underneath and the screws just went though the nose cowl and the screen into the nuts sitting in the frame underneath :icon_confused:

Could you touch them with a dab of glue?

Or maybe some thin double side tape is I think what I did.

I wasn't looking for an alternate source for the parts, folks.. I was trying to figure out how to get them to retain their shape.

What I ended up doing was installing them in a spare shield I had, and then putting it in the deep freezer for a few days. Seemed to help, although it's still not as nice as the originals looked.

I wasn't looking for an alternate source for the parts, folks.. I was trying to figure out how to get them to retain their shape.

What I ended up doing was installing them in a spare shield I had, and then putting it in the deep freezer for a few days. Seemed to help, although it's still not as nice as the originals looked.

Leave them installed for say ummmmm about 10yrs. Worked for mine. Dumb ass! :icon_rolleyes: