CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need advice; planning on buying

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles...p3756.m14.l1318

Fellows

Let me know if this looks to be a good price for this.

2003 Blackbird with 7500 miles

1 owner

I am planning on going up and seeing the bike this week; what should i check for? any tips would be highly appreciated

P.S> I have the same post on the cbrxx.com forum so no disrespect meant by posting twice

Thanks

A 2003 XX with 7500 miles for $6000 sounds like a good deal. A bike of that kind of low mileage probably don't have too many things that need to be checked. Here are just my opinions:

- check the VIN for any accident in record

- check for any cosmetic damage (body works)

- check the chain/sprockets for rust as they are probably still original and that was 5-6 years ago. A new chain/sprockets is about $220 + labor (probably at least another $150. I'm not sure as I did my own works) to install them.

- battery is probably on its last leg if it's still the original. It's another $100-$120 or so for FI bird.

- it said about the title: "Clear (most titles)", not sure what that means? Does he have or not have the title?

- check the tires. It said "rear tire Dunlop qualifier with 200 mi" and that doesn't mean a thing. Qualifier tires are designed to last only a few hundred miles and they may not even be legal to ride on public roads. So you have to figure in another $350-$400 for a new set of tires (parts and labor) after you bought it.

Dunlop "Qualifiers' are the line that replaced the D208 street tire. It's just a name, not an actual qualifying tire. Probably good for at least 2-3 thousand miles on the XX.

Look like a pretty good deal on a clean bike.

Examine this bike closely. I don't know why, but my bullshit detector is pinging with this eBay ad. I'm not sure if its the poor detail, spelling, or lack of grammatical skill in what appears to be pasted text, or the missing rear cowl bolt and obviously backwards mirror boot on what is supposedly a very well cared for machine. You can break a cowl tipping the bike over in a driveway...but if it really needed a new cowl and a windshield to the tune of $500, what else has been replaced or covered up? Looks like a scrape in the front fender as well, but I can't be sure of that one.

Maybe its just me, but as I said, my bullshit detector is on alert. Tipping the bike over won't ruin it, but be cautious. $6000 seems a lot when you know the owner's attention to detail may not be what yours is.

- check the tires. It said "rear tire Dunlop qualifier with 200 mi" and that doesn't mean a thing. Qualifier tires are designed to last only a few hundred miles and they may not even be legal to ride on public roads. So you have to figure in another $350-$400 for a new set of tires (parts and labor) after you bought it.

I guess you havent been in the garage section lately..... there is a fresh thread in there where a few people including myself are running the qualifer's & are getting ~4500 out of them give or take depending on your driving habits. & are 100% road legal tire just like any Michelin, Pirelli, Avon......

You might also want to get a look behind the tank bra, to see if any damage is lurking being it.

The points made by Rockmeupto125 are certainly worth considering though the missing bolt and boot on the wrong way suggests to me that the guy is one of those folks that don't see such things---really. It it's shiny, it's good to go.

I started to put a drop of locktite on my bolts because I lost a couple and the damn things are expensive and you have to order them in.

Take a flashlight so you can look at the area around the triple clamps from the top and bottom---if that looks good and the panels fit and line up good--I wouldn't be afraid of it. He may even tell you or have receipts from whoever did the work on it.

From the pictures---looks real nice to me. Whatever you decide----many happy trails---kel

"MUST SELL"

...hmmmn - chumming for sharks?....

Looks like the owner has money to me - driveway is about a mile long... trampoline, nice play set - new truck - well I suppose - he could be getting hit by too many payments, but looks like he's set to me. He's probably a salesman and knows what to throw up in an ad.

I see you bid. Generally good people over in that neck of the woods.

Good luck.

I started to put a drop of locktite on my bolts because I lost a couple and the damn things are expensive and you have to order them in.

Careful with that. Loctite can do a number on your plastic. If it touches the plastic, the first thing you'll notice is hairline cracks around the bolt holes.

well fellows

took the plunge!

got the bird for 5200 and the guy threw in delivery (4 hrs in his trialer)..seller was a pretty nice guy..has 3 more bikes so wanted to sell this one..single owner, all in order..had great communication with him over the last few days and everthing seemed right..will be getting her on friday evening ...will post pics soon