CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike died on choke this morning

matthend

The bird coughed and sputtered, then died on tuesday when I gave it some gas getting on the freeway coming home from work. It would not start back up and I almost killed the battery trying to get it started. Trailered it home and charged the battery, then it started fine. It has been popping on decel lately, something I hadnt noticed before. Then this morning I came out to start it to ride to work and it started immediately on full choke. Once the revs started rising, I cranked the choke down to about 1800-2000 rpm and went back in to finish getting ready. While I was inside, I heard the revs dropping so I went to see what was up. I cranked the choke up, but the revs kept dropping. If I touched the throttle, the revs would drop completely. The revs slowly dropped until the bike died, and I could not get it started again. Any ideas as to what this could be? Something in the carbs somewhere maybe? TIA guys!!

Junk in the carbs. Try turning in your idle screws in all the way and then back out if you are too lazy to take em apart. Count the turns in or you wont get em back right. That may crush the grit and let it flow thru, or it may damage the seat, but I don't think so. Also run some sea foam in the tank.

Junk in the carbs. Try turning in your idle screws in all the way and then back out if you are too lazy to take em apart. Count the turns in or you wont get em back right. That may crush the grit and let it flow thru, or it may damage the seat, but I don't think so. Also run some sea foam in the tank.

:icon_thumbsup: +1 Water settles at the bottom of carbs so sometimes it won't become evident until you are really up into the revs, or really down into the fuel in the bowls. Fuel issue would've been my starting point.

Check the battery make sure it is good, Would be best to have it checked, you would be suprised what a bad battery can do.

& check fuel filter.

Was it running fine before OR did it give you some indication it was going south, weeks/days beforehand ?

My guess would be a needle valve stuck open that's flooding the carbs. If that's the problem, sometimes tapping on the side of carbs will free it. Also check for gas in the oil, smell the dipstick.

well, I played hooky from work yesterday when the bike died on choke in the morning again. Changed the oil (no gas smell btw), and ran some seafoam through it. It did start no problem in the afternoon and every time thereafter. This morning same !@#$ thing! :icon_wall: :icon_wall: So I drove the car in and I am racking my brain to think of what it could be. I am wondering if the high humidity in the mornings has something to do with it? There is always dew on the bike when this happens, and i would almost guarantee it will start if I go home at lunch and try. Anyone have any ideas? Battery checked out fine btw...

Give us more details...97 or 98 (Carb) Bird?

# Miles...

Any major maintenance recently performed?

You also said you recently changed the diaphram...

More details....

One more quick thought (simple...but 50% likely your problem)...pinched fuel hose or vent hose!

Check your routing carefully!

97 carbed bird, 56k miles, no recent major maintenance. I replaced the petcock diaphragm because it quit passing fuel through about 7k miles (3 months) ago. I am getting fuel to the carbs fine, that was the first thing I checked. I just got off the phone with the mechanic, he said to open the gas cap when it does this to see if it is the gas tank vent not functioning. When I go home today I will check all my hose routing again too.

no, havent changed the plugs, They were new when I bought it. Been about 12k though... Would it run great the majority of the time if it was a plug though?

Usually a good indication of a "fouled" plug is when starting & idling, & occasionally while driving you might get a few mis-fires, depending on how far they're gone.

A good place to start with any type of troubleshooting is general maintence items.. such as plugs/filter's/oil/coolant/battery, then work from there.

is there an "easy"way to check the plugs? The bike died again this morning. Yesterday morning when I started it it sounded like it was only running on 2-3 cylinders when I tried to rev it. After a few twists, it kind of cleared it's throat and ran fine afterwards. This morning, I tried the same trick, but it never seemed to "clear it's throat", eventually just totally dieing when I twisted the throttle. Once it was doing that, I left it alone on full choke but it went from about 1100 rpm to 0 in about 10-15 seconds and wouldnt start thereafter. This issue is always in the mornings. I talked to the mechanic and if it doesnt do it when I take it in, he is not sure what he can do for me.... Help Please!!! :icon_wall: :icon_wall:

hmmm, the manual was saying to remove the lower fairing, upper inner cover and move the radiator, but I would much rather come at it from above. I really hope it is the plugs... this is so frustrating!

That's to get you to say fuck it and go to the dealer. Remove the seat, tank and maybe the airbox (I can't remember it's been a while). Might be a good idea to pull the airbox anyhow and check for any obstructions in the snorkels or stuck slides in the carbs. The factory tool kit makes plug removal and install much easier, but it can be done with regular sockets, extensions, etc... Hell since you're that far along you may as well pull the carbs too, pop the bowls off and see if there's any gunk in there.

Where are you located? Maybe there's another member nearby that can help you out.

figures, I put the toolkit back incorrectly and lost the entire contents about a month and a half ago... I am in Louisville KY. How hard is it to pull the carbs and float bowls (How likely am I to f#$% it up with my mechanical ineptitude)? Keep in mind there is a wet shot installed also...

the wet shot was installed when I bought the bike, I was going to remove it but it is very cleanly installed. I have NEVER used it so that variable should be out the window.

Oh, I see. Well, if there's no possibility that has anything to do with the situation, then I stand corrected. Carry on, gentlemen.

But now I'm even more confused. If it can't be part of the problem, why on earth would you even mention it?