CBR1100XX.org Forum

zx 14 swingarm install

cbrzxxx

Yes it fits, but it does take some fabrication to get the zx14 linkage to work as well as the shock. But, not much.

Basics first. The swingarm bolts on. No modifications.

The top shock on the zx is about .020" to wide. The roll pen can be sanded on a beltsander to make the correct width easy enough.

The linkage for the 14 is to wide to fit the xx frame, by .100". I took the roll pen out and the seals and sanded down and used the roll pen from the xx and the seals as they are the same size. No big deal.

The shock works fine and clears fine in the position it ends up. But, the overflow for the radiator is in the way of the resivor on the shock and has to be relocated. I put it on top of the motor and it works OK. but not sure what I am going to do with it permanet.

The last thing is a bit hard and does have to be fabricated. The links that go between the swingarm and the shock link are too long by 2.900" to get the same location that the rear wheel is off the ground to start with when it is on the center stand. and it is to hard to cut with a saw. They are steel but Damn hard.

They grind well with a cutoff so that is what I did. They are not straight But have a bend and I tig welded long ways not around. They need to be strong.

The first ride, I think the ride was much smoother. The shock worked well as it was setup.

You can tell that it is longer when you ride it even though it is only two inches.

I did pictures, and will post them.

pics please....

where did you get the zx swingarm (wrecked bike or after market)? May seem like a stupid question but I have been thinking about installing the swingarm extenders that bolt onto the existing swingarm.... Though an after market zx arm might be cool too....

Had to add 8 links I think, but the sproket that came on the 14 arm is a 41 tooth I think. So was less than 110 by 4 so you will need a 114 or so. I can count to make sure cause that is from memory this morning.

The arm came from a 07 off ebay, and perfect with shock and linkage. everything I get is a good buy, from there. I would have to look but I think about a 100.

I need to link the photos, I shot enough, and need to down load some more.

Will get them up in a little while.

So was this done on the quad to lengthen then the wheelbase?

No Justin, I have two birds, the quad I started in late 02.

In January this year I bought a 2001 with bent forks. I replaced the front forks with 2007 zx14 forks. I also changed the wheels, brakes, mastercylinders with parts from the same. I modified the bird arm to accept the rear wheel and brake too. The only thing left was the swingarm and shock and I ran out of time to do it and make the Ozarxx meet.

This would give me a Redbird with current technology in the forks, wheels, brakes, etc.

Now the quad is getting the xx swing arm and a differential from a Servicar. But, that is another post that is comming.

Pictures in a min. Then ride.

Are there any weight savings over stock ? Looks like the ZX wheels are much lighter by design ? Overall very nice conversion a little pricey but if you like the bird enough to keep it then why not.

SO you have to use all ZX parts like wheel, rotor, rear caliper and bracket?

The rear axle on the 14 is bigger.

The mount on the swingarm for the linkage is wider than the xx. And not as long. I think that you could have used the xx shock and linkage but would need some spacers or to cut down the mount on the arm. I think there is a difference on the zx frame I don't know about.

Chad, I did nount the zx wheel and mount and caliper to the xx arm. But, I told you that. I would think that a sleeve inside the zx mount and it would fit the xx axle, and arm fine and give you the current calliper with the zx wheel. I know what you have and can look at the difference in the xx and zx caliper mount and width. Shoot some pic's.

I might be talked into tradeing arms too. I am going to cut one up to build a diff for the quad. Soon.

Pm me a number if you want to talk. I don;t think I still have it in my phone, and all my pm's are gone.

Are there any weight savings over stock ? Looks like the ZX wheels are much lighter by design ? Overall very nice conversion a little pricey but if you like the bird enough to keep it then why not.

I haven't got exact weights, but the ZX wheels are definitely lighter. I noticed it the first time I had the tires of the ZX wheels. Not aftermarket light, but definitely lighter than stock XX wheels.