CBR1100XX.org Forum

Slip ons ?

G-Man

I would like to put a pair of slip ons on my Bird. I would like some suggestions from some of you all that have aftermarket cans. First let me say that I am keeping my OEM panniers on the bike, so mounting, and clearance may be an issue. Second, I don't want to have to remap my fuel injection. Third, I would like something that is lighter than the OEM cans, with a throaty sound, but not loud. Fourth, I kinda like the idea of the Scorpion, and Blue Flames, that have the stainless steel strand internal packing, that never needs repacking. Fifth, I was considering carbon fiber or titanium, but you really won't see them because of the panniers, so should I go with aluminum? Is there anything wrong with aluminum cans? So many options!

A lot of the Aussie guys on OzBB have gone for the Yoshi RS3 oval's and quite like them :icon_surprised:

They come in quite few different types like stainless and Carbon I believe and no one has said anything about clearance problems with luggage :icon_surprised:

I have a set of the Yoshi stainless slip ons, and I think they recommend repacking every 15000 miles. Thats about when mine will probably go up for sale, and I put the stockers back on.

The only problem I see with aluminum, is they will scratch very easily. Any slip on will be much lighter than the stock anchors.

I've had Scorpions now on my 2nd Bird. First was an '02...they were Carbon Fiber. I DID remap and get a PCIII..did I have to? Probably not but I did when I bought them. On my '98 I have aluminum Scorpions and re-jetted.....again don't know if I had to but I did.

Scorpions are AWESOME sounding pipes. Not obnoxiously loud by any means but have a mean rumble. They're much lighter than stock, fit great....shouldn't have clearance problems....no repacking...etc. And they're priced very competitively.

P0002552.jpg

P0002259.jpg

Is there anything wrong with aluminum cans?

I must have one of the early Yosh slip-ons because they are aluminum and I don't think you can get them anymore. They should be lighter than S.S. but you do have to shine them up a couple times a year.

I have Yosh RS3's with the zyclone baffle. Louder than stock but not obnoxious by any means. They are the stainless steel model. I haven't rejetted, probably won't. I didn't notice any performance gain but I putt around like a granny most of the time anyway. People I have ridden with said they like the sound.

I have 2-bros carbon fiber cans on one bike, yoshi RS3 stainless on one and Jackie has the Scorpions stainless on hers. I like the looks of the 2-bros carbon fiber the best. The Scorpions are great looking and have a great sound, not quite as loud as the 2-bros.

Barry...1st off...Good lookin bikes! 2nd..Did your Scorps come with exhaust gaskets? I noticed the stock pipes had gaskets in them at the collector connection. Is it cool to just reuse those, do I not need them, or should I have new ones? I just got a set of Stainless Scorps for my 99 Bird and I'll be putting them on real soon here.

Barry...1st off...Good lookin bikes! 2nd..Did your Scorps come with exhaust gaskets? I noticed the stock pipes had gaskets in them at the collector connection. Is it cool to just reuse those, do I not need them, or should I have new ones? I just got a set of Stainless Scorps for my 99 Bird and I'll be putting them on real soon here.

I just installed Scorpions on Jackie's bike a few weeks ago. You don't need the gaskets, it is a very tight fit between the Scorpion mid-pipe and the mating stock exhaust header.

Installing bracket with the rubber sleeve was a pain in the ass though.

I just installed Scorpions on Jackie's bike a few weeks ago. You don't need the gaskets, it is a very tight fit between the Scorpion mid-pipe and the mating stock exhaust header.

Thanks for the compliment. I didn't put the pipes on. I had the shop do it since they were doing the jet kit. But I removed the left slip-on when I removed the centerstand (didn't have to though) and didn't see any gaskets but like TFT says....it's a tight fit so don't think any are needed. I didn't find putting the bracket and rubber sleeve to be much of a pain either.

Thanks for the compliment. I didn't put the pipes on. I had the shop do it since they were doing the jet kit. But I removed the left slip-on when I removed the centerstand (didn't have to though) and didn't see any gaskets but like TFT says....it's a tight fit so don't think any are needed. I didn't find putting the bracket and rubber sleeve to be much of a pain either.

Once you get the brackets 'formed" around the pipe they are easy to remove/install. But they weren't originally "shaped" to the canister and it was a bitch to get them to conform to the shape and get them bolted up.

I think the Scorpion stainless are one of the best looking best sounding pipes out there.

Thanks again Barry for suggesting them. :icon_biggrin:

Definitely, I got them on today and it sounds awesome. I got them put on without gaskets. It was pretty snug slipping them on so I just got the clamp positioned right and made sure that it was nice and tight. No leaks. I suppose if worse comes to worse and I hear a leak I can run a small bead of high temp RTV around the pipe and slip it back on.