CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is wrapping the header worth it?

CxBXR

Ive got a stainless header , & I am contemplating the idea of wrapping it, too help reduce engine temps & not so much about HP. Ceramic coating is out of the question for now as $$$ is low.

I have read that the wraps can "trap" moisture in & will rust the header from the outside in. The bike stays outside covered up, and is NOT in a climate controlled garage.

How big of a problem is this with stainless ? Anybody done this to there header ? Does it help ?

Thanks

I have seen a few bikes where the header wrap has caught fire and burned the bike to the ground so yeah I would leave it be!

I have seen a few bikes where the header wrap has caught fire and burned the bike to the ground so yeah I would leave it be!

Thanks for the quick reply, I will leave it alone then, I prefer not to carry a on-board fire extinguiser around :icon_redface:

On board fire extinguisher? Isn't that what you drink all the beer for? :icon_twisted:

Rust wouldn't be a problem for stainless headers, though, just the older mild steel ones. I hadn't heard of wrap catching fire before! On the other hand, I also don't know that there would be much heat soak from the headers, even though they are close behind the radiator. Save up for a rainy month & get them ceramic coated then! It's on my list to do... somewhere... when I have the cash... after winning the lottery maybe? :icon_rolleyes:

I've never heard of catching fire either, but I have heard of wrap causing embrittlement in the metal, causing cracking over long term use. +1 on ceramic coated.

I can`t see header wrap catching fire unless there`s something there to combust. Could be the incident was the result of oil leaking into the wrap which soaked it up and eventually ignited.

Thanks, i have decided that i will pass on wrapping, & save up money to get it ceramic coated later

I have also heard bad thing's about ceramic coating, such as very fine hairline cracks in the coating from the steel getting hot & expanding the when it cools it shrinking. & eventually not doing it's job

agreed on the fact that the wrap in itsself should not cobust however it allows oil and other flamable liquids to collect which would not normally collect, for example when removing the oil filter n stuff and to remove the header to just do an oil change is rediculous so I would just for go it all together!

why would you need to remove the header to change the oil when you could just wrap it with a piece of garden plastic ? and keep it clean this way

but anyway ceramic coating would be the way to go i did the exhaust and the turbo housing on my STI subaru and it lowered under bonnet temps heaps and it spooled up quicker as well

why would you need to remove the header to change the oil when you could just wrap it with a piece of garden plastic ? and keep it clean this way

Maybe because the plastic would melt on the hot exhaust after you warmed up the bike to change the oil :icon_whistle:

Maybe because the plastic would melt on the hot exhaust after you warmed up the bike to change the oil :icon_whistle:

interesting concept, warm the bike to change the oil, then wait for it to cool down enough to put the garden plastic on the header......................... not that taking a hot header off is simple either.......................................... :icon_whistle:

• 3 years later...
Thanks, i have decided that i will pass on wrapping, & save up money to get it ceramic coated later

I have also heard bad thing's about ceramic coating, such as very fine hairline cracks in the coating from the steel getting hot & expanding the when it cools it shrinking. & eventually not doing it's job

Airborn Coatings in North Carolina is pretty good from what I hear, but I don't have any personal experience with them.