CBR1100XX.org Forum

Audiovox CCS100

Hobicus

Ok... So I spent today installing my new cruise control. However, after following all the instructions on:

http://home.comcast.net/~steve.huminski/cb...ndex_cruise.htm

I have checked the wires, etc,... and am pretty sure I've got it all done. I'm OK with a meter, and have been able to verify I have proper electrical throughout.

However, I still can't get it to engage. I've got lights, etc.. best as I can tell, everything is ok. I've googled it, and I found this page:

http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/cruise-control.htm

Which says that basicially, if you don't have normal bulbs on the purple wire (brake light detection) it will not work.

Of course, I haven't had a chance to just ground the purple wire to the frame and see if it works.. I'll do that tomorrow AM. But I'm wondering if anyone has their cruise control working with Clear Alternatives LED lenses.

Anyone?

Wow, I've had the exact same problem and thought I was crazy. I even took the vacuum/brainbox back to Schmucks and got a new one with the same result. I'm also pretty good with a meter and everything checks out but CCS will not engage. Even called Audiovox and acted like I had a car, but they weren't able to help me either.

Hope this is the problem so I can get this thing to work. Thanks for the post Hobi... :icon_hail:

**EDIT** Just got home from work and was able to read the link to valkyrieriders.com and the relay idea looks like the ticket. I have a Mototeck II LED undertail and SignalDynamics brake hold modulator so am doubly screwed in the ass (end)!!

Update:

After swapping out the LEDs with stock bulbs, I get life out of the cruise control. So that's the problem.

For now, I just went back to the stock tail light, I want to see how it behaves, and then I'll figure out how to make the LEDs work if I need to. Probably going to install a relay. I'll take pictures if I get it working.

Vern, I have some spare resistors I used to slow down the flash rate of my LED signals. Remind me Saturday and we can try them out!

Very interested in this thread. Please figure it all out and then draw me some instructions in crayon or MS Paint so I can install mine. I have a CA tail light too.

Thanks for the resistors Tim - they did the trick. I originally tried the relay patch but it did not work. So after returning home on Saturday, I jump-wired an OEM bulb to test and got the CSS to engage!!! Then replaced the bulb with resistors and a diode like the drawing and presto - cruise control.

Thanks Rich for the great find...

• 2 months later...
Where can one find this Audiovox CCS100 ? The guys at Auto Zone looked at me like a tree full of owles when I asked if they had such an animal.

And how much do they cost?

Auto stores clearanced them quite a while ago... so they appear on ebay occasionally/regularly. $50-110-ish. If you tour, "worth it!", if you just need a throttle lock every now and then, buy the NEP throttle lock. FWIW :icon_biggrin: .

Where can one find this Audiovox CCS100 ? The guys at Auto Zone looked at me like a tree full of owles when I asked if they had such an animal.

And how much do they cost?

Can't get the really good deals anymore since AutoZone closed them out.

Schmucks has 'em for about $110.

• 10 months later...

Did the relay install on mine. You will need a SPDT relay for this hookup. Got mine at auto zone PN 20421 cost 10.00. You will need to tie ground through the relay pins 30 and 87A. Run a tap from the cold side (only on when the brake light is on checked with a test light) of the rear brake switches wire through pins 85 and 86 to ground as well. I put my relay in the open area with the other relays under the seat. With this arrangement ground is supplied to the servo until you hit either brake. doing so energizes the relay and breaks the ground path disengaging the servo. The way to check your install is to turn on the ignition and then tap each brake you will hear the relay pick up for each lever.