CBR1100XX.org Forum

Earplug Recommendations?

runner

What are your earplug recommendations for riding (incl. the bird) do you have?

The wind is fine with my aftermarket shield but the wind noise gets old after 30-45 minutes of riding.

What earplugs have proven the best?

(I currently use a Shoei RF900 and am looking at the RF1000 or an Arai model).

How much impact would the helmet choice have on wind noise?

I'm enjoying my Rf-1000. I use the cheapo Koss17 ear speakers. There is still some wind noise but I can also hear the stuff going on around me. Are looking for just plugs or phones that block wind noise?

I have an RF1000. I can't tell you how much noise, different helmets have but it can be drastically different.

I think the 1k is good but not as quiet as some.

I use E.A.R. Classic ear plugs because my work supply's them. Free is good. They are cheap if you have to buy them. I have worn them all day on the bike in the wind and have no complaints as far as comfort. They reduce the noise very well also.

E.A.R. Classic

Mike

I got ear plugs from teh last motorcycle show. They custom make them to your ear and are very comfortable. They were a bit pricey, but i they work very well. If you are interested in this route, i can get the name of the company that made mine when next week.

I use some that look just like the 'classic' linked above----but they are cream colored and I get them in a package of a few sets at the drug store. I cut them in half and they are more than adequate and don't stick out so don't get pulled out when I put the helmet on or take it off. What is amazing to me is how much more pleasant the ride is without that ear damaging wind noise. Ride a half day or so with them in and then, when you take a break--leave them out when you again. You'll wonder how the hell you ever put up with all the noise----and how much your hearing has been compromised.

Happy trails kel

I work in a noisy environment and wear earplugs 100% of the time while working. I went to an audiologist and was fitted for custom earplugs. Ran ~ $60. It's the same process as getting fitted for a hearing aid, only the result is a solid piece of rubber/silicone/whatever. I wear these while riding and have never looked back. Since shooting is another hobby of mine these get used a lot. Over 3 years late and still on the same pair. You can't replace your hearing.

wouldn't consider riding any bike w/out earplugs.....I'd be deaf by now or have tinnitus if I didn't wear them.

I always use these....work outstanding and very soft and comfortable.

400 pack runs about $45 on Ebay (or you can buy smaller quanitities):

Earplugs_Linky

I got ear plugs from teh last motorcycle show. They custom make them to your ear and are very comfortable. They were a bit pricey, but i they work very well. If you are interested in this route, i can get the name of the company that made mine when next week.

Last time I bought plugs I bought the making of the moldable plugs at walmart for like 10 bucks and made one for each ear, I normally use one at a time and plug the other ear with a ear bud that has isolation foam as part of the design.

I've used every cheap earplug made... or at least I think I have... all of them hurt my ears after an hour or 2...

So I looked into Molded Earplugs, when this topic started...

Cheapest I found was $120 per set...

Well... if you know me....

I made my own...

Yep... for about $70 worth of materials... I made my own... from scratch, bought the Alginate, Liquid Plastic, 2 part Liquid Silicone, made the molds... etc.

Here's a picture... and No they are not Pink... for some reason when I took the picture on the green cutting board, the flash made them appear that way... but to the naked eye they are clear.

One set for my wife and one for me... figured I saved about $160... and had fun too.

post-726-1210449375.jpg

I've used every cheap earplug made... or at least I think I have... all of them hurt my ears after an hour or 2...

I made my own...

Yep... for about $70 worth of materials... I made my own... from scratch, bought the Alginate, Liquid Plastic, 2 part Liquid Silicone, made the molds... etc.

Here's a picture... and No they are not Pink... for some reason when I took the picture on the green cutting board, the flash made them appear that way... but to the naked eye they are clear.

One set for my wife and one for me... figured I saved about $160... and had fun too.

Are those pink? :icon_twisted:

Went to the audiologist and had a set made.

$25 an ear.

Do it.

I went this route too. Shop around because the price is dramatically different from place to place. My only complaint is that under the helmet, if you move your jaw around, they will come lose and feel weird, then you can't get your hand in to fix it.

I like the cheap waxey looking ones from the drug store.

Went to the audiologist and had a set made.

$25 an ear.

Do it.

I went this route too. Shop around because the price is dramatically different from place to place. My only complaint is that under the helmet, if you move your jaw around, they will come lose and feel weird, then you can't get your hand in to fix it.

I like the cheap waxey looking ones from the drug store.

How did I get this in twice? Sorry.

I made my own...

Are those pink? :icon_twisted:

Both of those pairs must be for his wife, cuz they are pink!

All that mumbo jumbo high $ earplug business is....... bullshit............. IMHO. I get the highest NRR/SNR and the cheapest I can find in size large. Keep in mind there are different sizes.

usually NRR33 /SNR37

http://www.elvex.com/facts03.htm

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english/engineer...877847-snr.html

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/produ...&submit.y=0

After a week or so I throw them away and use a new pair.

I do have the Etymotics ER6i for music but it does bother me after a while...

All that mumbo jumbo high $ earplug business is....... bullshit............. IMHO. I get the highest NRR/SNR and the cheapest I can find in size large. Keep in mind there are different sizes.

usually NRR33 /SNR37

That's great if the disposables don't irritate your ear canals. After 2-3 days of the foamies my ears are freakin raw.

01xxallen, if they don't fit right go back to your audiologist and tell them you want them just a bit oversized. It's their job to make them fit right. That's what I did. No gap whatsoever when I move my jaw.

• 4 weeks later...