CBR1100XX.org Forum

Adjustable Ignition Advancer

R1000

This is how it looks. It will be set to +3 degrees, i.e. giving the same ignition advance as the FI-bikes have.

post-3595-1209645911.jpg

post-3595-1209645913.jpg

This is how it looks. It will be set to +3 degrees, i.e. the same preignition as the FI-bikes have.

Just to clarify so no one gets the wrong idea, here in the States we call it ignition advance. Preignition is a bad thing.

Thx RM, I've corrected the first post.

The bike has now been tested and I'm happy with the advancer. The bike is more responsive on low rpm's. Third gear feels like second gear when towing around at very low speeds. I can't honestly say I can feel any change on upper mid range or high rpm's. The idle rpm increased from 1600 to 1750 with the advancer, showing that the engine is producing more power at low rpm. My bike has about 12 to 1 in static compression and more cam lift, so I didn't dare to change more than 3 degrees. I know many are using 4 degrees and have reported better performance improvements than I got.

When I removed the timing cover, I could see that the pulse genrerator pickup is fastened with two screws. I guess some grinding on the pickup plate holes would have done the same for free. It is just to calculate how much to widen the holes (a few 10:s of a mm or so).

Update: I was quite tired yesterday when I tested the bike after a full day of hard work in the garden, and the trip was also very short and on low speed roads. I've just came home from a longer trip and can say this mod is a real success. The bike is noticeable stronger also on mid range. The fork stretches on 6th gear at 5000 rpm as I don't recall it even did on 5th before. I was even looking for another gear on 6th a couple of times since the engine is more responsive. This is a killer mod that I recommend to anyone.

I had one on my '98 carbed bird, set to +6deg. Ran well but I had to use premium unleaded or it would ping like crazy. I was going to set it back, but found that I couldn't get the bolt undone again, so left it. I had a K&N AF, Yoshi slip ons and a set of '99 headers fitted as well. I normally averaged on my daile commute ~20kpL ( 47.25mpg(US))

The only other real noticeable effect was that I now had to have the engine over 3000RPM to get the 1/2 meter flame/bang from the Yoshis by flicking the run/start switch off/on. :icon_twisted: