CBR1100XX.org Forum

How Long Should A "Mount And Balance" Service Take?

magley64

tire service  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Should Mount And Balance Service Take?

• 1 Hour
    • 1 Day
    • 2 Days
    • 3 Days+

I dropped my wheels off at the local Kawasucky dealer on Monday(no honda shops left in the county). This place is pretty barren, and empty most of the time, so I knew they wouldn't be busy. I was hoping for same day service, but the guy behind the counter told me it would probably be "overnight" service, and they would be done on tuesday...but he would call me when they were ready.

tuesday, No call

wednesday, no call

thursday, no call yet...

what gives?

3 great riding days down the toilet so far... :icon_banghead:

what kind of service have you guys recieved?

Most of the time with tires I tell them I'll wait and they get it done within an hour or so. I think they have a semimechanic who just does tires and other simple stuff. Other service is a "leave it over night" type of thing.

Just one more reason to do it yourself.

People really don't want your business, y'know.

I would, I do car tires, but I don't have a machine to balance them...(excessive wheel vibration is not something I want on the bird)

Balancing is easy.

Its just....balancing. Same principle. If you don't have any equipment, put the axle through the wheel and set each end on a stack of books. Take your time and you'll get a great result. Some of us are lucky enough to have official balancers, which is nice, but its like a box end wrench to an air ratchet. Same result, just slightly snazzier in the execution.

Balancing is easy.

Its just....balancing. Same principle. If you don't have any equipment, put the axle through the wheel and set each end on a stack of books. Take your time and you'll get a great result. Some of us are lucky enough to have official balancers, which is nice, but its like a box end wrench to an air ratchet. Same result, just slightly snazzier in the execution.

Doesn't friction get in the way?

I balanced a next gen CT scanner rotor within a gram, but at the time we were using an air bearing, it had a coefficient of friction of .00002

so any imbalance anywhere on that rotor was vividly apparent just by stoping motion, seeing which way it turned, and where it stopped. (point directly between the start point and stop point was the heavy side, add a gram or 2 to the opposite side...depending on acceleration)

I use something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PIONEER-L1-...bayphotohosting

Except mine was $65 or so... Mine is (2) pieces of angle aluminum bolted together, with ABEC-7 bearings in betwen them to mount the shaft on... Mine isn't as pretty, because I have to sit it on jack stands because it doesn't have its own stand, but it works quite well...

Mike

Usually it is about an hour for ride in ride out her in Perth, West Aus, the last time I took the wheels off and took them to the shop and then they realised that they didn't have a 180 PR2 rear so I chased around and found another shop who fitted one in 1 1/2 hrs and the first shop fitted the PP front in a couple of hours :icon_surprised:

I mount and balance my own. It takes me most of a Saturday/Sunday with the kids and wife and house demanding attention.

Balancing is easy.

Doesn't friction get in the way?

I balanced a next gen CT scanner rotor within a gram, but at the time we were using an air bearing, it had a coefficient of friction of .00002

so any imbalance anywhere on that rotor was vividly apparent just by stoping motion, seeing which way it turned, and where it stopped. (point directly between the start point and stop point was the heavy side, add a gram or 2 to the opposite side...depending on acceleration)

You won't be an issue on motorcycle tires. Sorry if someone already answered this...I didn't read the whole post.

If you use skateboard bearings, they will be more than suitable for a static balancer. I balance my own tires all the time and never have had a problem The key is to balance your rim first without the tire on it. Most rims have a heavy spot no where near the valve stem. I normally get away with having no weight added to only 7-14 grams (1-2 wieghts).

First, there is no excuse for poor communication. I can forgive a shop for finishing work late, but not for calling me to give me an update.

I agree with the others. Change them yourself. Any tools you need to buy will pay for them self in two tire changes. Then you can change them at night yourself and not miss a minute of riding.

The private shop I use will do the job for $20.00 / wheel off the bike. Mounted and balanced. 1/2 day worse case, usually as I wait.

I am getting the stuff together to do them myself. We go through two sets / bike / year. That $240.00 or so will buy another set.

Plus, I can change them when I want, and say I did it myself.