CBR1100XX.org Forum

Right fork leg will not come apart.

jon haney

Right fork seal was leaking, so I decided to put in a new one and some new bushings. Everything was going normal until I went to bang the seal out. When the tube bottoms-out on the slider, it is "sticking". I have to hit the bottom of the fork with a rubber mallet to get it un-stuck. About 30 times of this and the seal hasn't moved yet. (Yes, I removed the wire clip that holds the seal in and the whole damping cartridge.)

I decided to pull the other fork apart to see if I was forgetting something. Every thing went perfect on that one. Five bangs and the seal and bushing were out. BTW this is the third time I've had these forks apart, so it's not new to me.

My theory is that the slider bushing is so worn it is trying to go into the outer tube bushing. This would put pressure on the outer bushing making it more resistant and explain the "sticking".

Anybody got any ideas? Or maybe a spare right fork leg going cheap.

Well, the heating didn't work. It's officially a lost cause.

Anybody got a good set of 99 or later forks they would like to sell? I don't actually need the damping cartridges, if that makes a difference.

Also posting on the sales floor.

Note to all: If you have your fork lowers powder-coated, make absolutely sure you get all the sand and debris out before you re-assemble. Even one or two grains can fuck things up bad!

I have the bent ones from my 01, but you will need tubes.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not betting I can cut the sleeve off with out damaging the tube. I'd rather have a set that is stock and unmolested. Thanks, again.