CBR1100XX.org Forum

mounting a 170 series rear on the XX

twodealdrive

Or look for a 180 tire with more of a "V" than a "U" shape.

e.g. Michelin Pilot Road is very much a "U" profile tire, but the Pirelli Diablo is a "V" profile.

Nothing firsthand, only a comment.

I'd suspect it NOT to fall into a turn well. You're stretching the tire to fit it to a 5.5 inch wide rim, which flattens it out...negating the idea that it will "fall in" to a corner.

that's the one think I thought of right away too was mounting a 170 to an XX rim. You always hear talk of mounting a 190 but never the other way. Maybe I'll measure a 170 & 180 at a local shop and see what widths I come up with on unmounted tires.

thanks

I'd suspect it NOT to fall into a turn well. You're stretching the tire to fit it to a 5.5 inch wide rim, which flattens it out...negating the idea that it will "fall in" to a corner.

that's the one think I thought of right away too was mounting a 170 to an XX rim. You always hear talk of mounting a 190 but never the other way. Maybe I'll measure a 170 & 180 at a local shop and see what widths I come up with on unmounted tires.

thanks

That may or may not be of any help, cause the tire shape will change when mounted.

Like said, rim width will affect tire shape when mounted.

thanks

That may or may not be of any help, cause the tire shape will change when mounted.

Like said, rim width will affect tire shape when mounted.

The tire'll fit but you won't be happy and you'll lose contact patch.

Use a 6mm shim on the rear shock and the drop the front end 3-4mm. that'll give you what you're looking for.