CBR1100XX.org Forum

HELP!!

bajjer9

heres the scenario...on my commute the fog is heavy...after about an hour my intruments start to flutter (tach and speedo) then they finally drop to zero while i am moving. I turn the high beams off and they start again...so i assume that there is a short with th high beam circuit somewhere...finally the gauges die out all together even with low beams on...i stop at a gas station to check everything out...i have high and low beams,along with turn signals and brake/tail lights...i get back on and guess what? the starter wont turn over! so i proceed to push it with hopes of starting it and she cranks right up...anyone have an idea where to start looking? also if anyone has a 1997 XX wiring schematic that would be wonderful! any and all help is appreciated!!

When my regulator was going, that's what happened to me. Once I replaced it, I've never had that re-occur. If you want a copy of the wiring diagram, do a search on the board here for "Not automatic" and you should find a link to the online "manual"

I had the EXACT SAME issue two months ago. Gauges fluttered, then went out totally, then bike died 30 seconds later. Local Honda shop tried to tell me that it was a bad battery.....NOT!

I had the same issue with a Ducati ST2. Ended up being the regulator. I had the Honda shop install a new regulator instead of changing the battery and problem has not re-occured.

well i think it might be the regulator as seems to be the consensus...i went to check the battery and it had 9 volts and wouldnt turn over...does that sound consitant with the symptoms you all had? i would hate to spen the 200 buck for a regulator and find out it was something else....any way to confirm one way or the other?

***edit**** ouch 200 bucks for a replacement regulator from honda...I have access to a free one from on 02 cbr954, think it would fit?

If the 954 reg plugs in, and the wiring is the same, then use it.

Might want to check the wiring diagram from a 954 to be sure, and there are also aftermarket versions available if you don't want to spend the $200 Honda wants for it.

Read your posts this morning and was thinking, well my bird is on 35000klms the retifier is due to go soon.

Go for ride and what happens, gauges stop working then a minute later the bike cuts out.

Hit the starter and nothing, the headlights are very dim etc, there some bike shops about a mile away so I start pushing get to the Honda dealer he checks the battery and it's got 2 volts say's it's the retifier$$$

Sold the last one one Thursday he tells me so flogs me a new battery AU$115 :shock: starts the bike and every thing work but theres no charge going to the battery.

Anyway it got me home and as normal I have bend over and take up the backside and pay AU$400 for retifier.

A tip for all you out there that keep being "surprised".

Every time you start your bike watch your headlight/instrument brightness. When you rev the engine off idle you should see a slight brightening of your lights. If not your electrical system is running off the battery alone and will slowly kill it.

When you notice this get your multimeter out and get a voltage reading ignition off then start the bike and rev. it and see if the voltage goes up.

Well I just got back from the Honda dealer with my new regulater and to my surprise Honda have improved the unit,It now has cooling fins and a alloy spacer that goes between the regulater and the frame to act as a heat sink.

Though the package say's "Honda genuine parts made in Thailand"

I'm also told that the CCT's have been improved.