CBR1100XX.org Forum

jet kit & slip-ons-substanially worse gas mpg?

BarryG

My '98 is totally stock....what kind of mpg are you guys getting with slip-ons/rejet?

Don't want a full system (like the centerstand and hate the way it looks without one pipe).

I ride the Bird pretty fast....just got it but think I'll probably average mid-upper 30s for this tank.

Thanks!

Actually there are full systems out there with two pipes, you can find the stainless steel headers on ebay then buy whatever brand slip ons you like. With just slip ons there isnt much change needed to be done with the carbs and usually you can get away with just raising the needles so mid range doesnt sputter. Oh and with this set up with a factory ti jet kit and bmc race air filter I get 220 per tank.

My '98 is totally stock....what kind of mpg are you guys getting with slip-ons/rejet?

Don't want a full system (like the centerstand and hate the way it looks without one pipe).

I ride the Bird pretty fast....just got it but think I'll probably average mid-upper 30s for this tank.

Thanks!

Actually there are full systems out there with two pipes, you can find the stainless steel headers on ebay then buy whatever brand slip ons you like. With just slip ons there isnt much change needed to be done with the carbs and usually you can get away with just raising the needles so mid range doesnt sputter. Oh and with this set up with a factory ti jet kit and bmc race air filter I get 220 per tank.

Thanks!

Thanks but really only interested in slip-ons and a jetkit. Really not looking for lots more power.....just a little sound and save a little weight. I'll rejet to be on the safe side.....I don't mind.

Don't think with just a slipon you would need to re jet.

+1

Besides, by the time you pay for the slip-ons and pay someone to do the rejetting (I know you're not going to do it), haven't you now made that '98 more expensive than works for a sale when the market gets hotter in spring/summer? Besides, if you put slip-ons on it and then decide to sell the bike, the only way you'll get close to even is by pulling the slip-ons off to sell separately (and putting the OEM cans back on). Are you going to pay someone to rejet it again for the OEM cans so that you aren't loading the plugs with the richer mixture at sale time?

Point is that on a FI bike, all you have to do is buy a PCIII and remap for the system or slip-ons. When you go to sell it, you pull the cans (or the full system) to sell separately, pull the PCIII to sell, and return the bike to OEM for its sale. Rejetting a carbed bike for a similarly sane sale strategy is a lot more work than that easy process for a FI bike.

+1

Besides, by the time you pay for the slip-ons and pay someone to do the rejetting (I know you're not going to do it), haven't you now made that '98 more expensive than works for a sale when the market gets hotter in spring/summer? Besides, if you put slip-ons on it and then decide to sell the bike, the only way you'll get close to even is by pulling the slip-ons off to sell separately (and putting the OEM cans back on). Are you going to pay someone to rejet it again for the OEM cans so that you aren't loading the plugs with the richer mixture at sale time?

Point is that on a FI bike, all you have to do is buy a PCIII and remap for the system or slip-ons. When you go to sell it, you pull the cans (or the full system) to sell separately, pull the PCIII to sell, and return the bike to OEM for its sale. Rejetting a carbed bike for a similarly sane sale strategy is a lot more work than that easy process for a FI bike.

Understood..was going to rejet and put cans on it...b-e----cause.......I......think........I......mi-------ght..............ma-y--------be.........nnnnn-ot-----se------------ll......it......and kkkkkkkeep it. :icon_whistle:

It's a damn good $3K commuter.

So if I decided to keep it for 20 years.......and rejetted and cans......would my gas mpg go down considerably?

+1

Understood..was going to rejet and put cans on it...b-e----cause.......I......think........I......mi-------ght..............ma-y--------be.........nnnnn-ot-----se------------ll......it......and kkkkkkkeep it. :icon_whistle:

It's a damn good $3K commuter.

So if I decided to keep it for 20 years.......and rejetted and cans......would my gas mpg go down considerably?

As a commuter, I'd just put the cans on, and $3000 is a good price for it, but by mid-summer after commuting on it, that '98 won't be worth much more than $4,000. (I sold a clean '97 with 26K on it in July '06 for $4,000 and it wasn't like I could've gotten more.) Like Stan said -- slip-ons probably won't lean it out enough to warrant a rejet. You might see a couple mpg reduction in gas mileage if you rejet for the cans, but I doubt any more than that. A full system 4-2-1 and you really should rejet and expect a couple more mpg reduction. That assumes your throttle hand doesn't much get heavier. Don't know about you, but my throttle hand has gotten heavier with every 4-2-1 system I've installed -- suppose that slip-ons would have same effect for me (it may just be the sound and perception of more power that makes me need to feel it in the butt dyno).

As a commuter, I'd just put the cans on, and $3000 is a good price for it, but by mid-summer after commuting on it, that '98 won't be worth much more than $4,000. (I sold a clean '97 with 26K on it in July '06 for $4,000 and it wasn't like I could've gotten more.) Like Stan said -- slip-ons probably won't lean it out enough to warrant a rejet. You might see a couple mpg reduction in gas mileage if you rejet for the cans, but I doubt any more than that. A full system 4-2-1 and you really should rejet and expect a couple more mpg reduction. That assumes your throttle hand doesn't much get heavier. Don't know about you, but my throttle hand has gotten heavier with every 4-2-1 system I've installed -- suppose that slip-ons would have same effect for me (it may just be the sound and perception of more power that makes me need to feel it in the butt dyno).

I was planning on just immediately flipping it but it rides so nice and was cheap so I might as well keep it.

I have noticed with the stock cans, I don't ride it as fast b/c of the sound. I've had pipes on pretty much every bike I've had......and my mileage is never that great....always wanting to hear that sound. I guess if just put the cans on...I could just see how it runs w/out rejetting. I'm just not used to the stock pipes and the quietness.....it sounds kinda .....wrong. :icon_confused:

as I said earlier just s/o's doesnt require re jetting, at most you shim up the needles which is simple to do and wont change gas mileage much at all.

With a K&N in drop-in and punched cans, mine sputtered in the midrange when it was pre-jet kit...

I have a '97 with a K&N drop-in (came in the bike, I did not buy it), Yoshi RS3 slip-ons (street "zyclone" baffle), and with a Factory Pro jet kit set up to their specification for "stock pipe/zyclone" and I get 42 commuting, and 48-51 on the interstate at 75-80mph... This is with an 18t sprocket, but also with E10... I got the same with non-ethenol gasoline and a 17t sprocket... Of course, I have the Audiovox cruise control, so that keeps it away from chopping the throttle and it going rich, then accelerating back up to speed all the time...

Mike

With a K&N in drop-in and punched cans, mine sputtered in the midrange when it was pre-jet kit...

I have a '97 with a K&N drop-in (came in the bike, I did not buy it), Yoshi RS3 slip-ons (street "zyclone" baffle), and with a Factory Pro jet kit set up to their specification for "stock pipe/zyclone" and I get 42 commuting, and 48-51 on the interstate at 75-80mph... This is with an 18t sprocket, but also with E10... I got the same with non-ethenol gasoline and a 17t sprocket... Of course, I have the Audiovox cruise control, so that keeps it away from chopping the throttle and it going rich, then accelerating back up to speed all the time...

Mike

Thanks for the info....I've heard they run lean with a K&N but I'm keeping stock filter. I'd be interested to see what get for this first tank of gas. I'm at around 1/2 a tank with approx 100 mi or so. Interstate I usually cruise aound 80-85 but sometimes a bit faster.

Mike

Thanks for the info....I've heard they run lean with a K&N but I'm keeping stock filter. I'd be interested to see what get for this first tank of gas. I'm at around 1/2 a tank with approx 100 mi or so. Interstate I usually cruise aound 80-85 but sometimes a bit faster.

It usually comes off of "full" with anywhere between 85 and 100 miles for me, and what shows about 1/2 tank is actually about 1/4 tank, and I'm usually around 150 miles there, when I've just been commuting...

Mike

10-4 on the fluctuation on the gauge. I use the odo and plan on bet. 125-150 mile fillups for my bike.

I have a 98 bird w/ full Muzzy exhaust and a K&N. I ride it virtually every day (commute , etc). It's 25 degrees today w/light snow...and I'm riding today...another story...

Anyways...expect about 35 mpg with a heavy throttle hand...maybe 40 mpg if you stay out of the gas a bit more often.

I had Akrapovic slip ons and a Factory Pro jet kit and my mileage was 40 give or take. It didn't get much better when it was stock.

I'd be in shock if I get 40 ever on a tank. I averaged about 32 on my '02 w/slip-ons and a PCIII....might have been running rich. I'm almost through this tank. I'd be extremely happy with 35...I'm heavy on the throttle most of the time......it IS a Bird after all... :icon_evilgrin:

I had Akrapovic slip ons and a Factory Pro jet kit and my mileage was 40 give or take. It didn't get much better when it was stock.

I'd be in shock if I get 40 ever on a tank. I averaged about 32 on my '02 w/slip-ons and a PCIII....might have been running rich. I'm almost through this tank. I'd be extremely happy with 35...I'm heavy on the throttle most of the time......it IS a Bird after all... :icon_evilgrin:

The carb'd bikes get better mileage than the FI bikes, because of the way they richened it up on low throttle on the FI bikes, to get away from having to have a second set of Throttle bodies... When I ride with guys with FI 'birds, I am usually looking for gas about the same time they are, because even though they have an extra gallon of fuel on board, I get better mileage...

Mike

The carb'd bikes get better mileage than the FI bikes

Yeah -- I noticed that when I owned both the '97 and '03 at the same time. But I didn't know the reason -- thanks for the explanation.

they have an extra gallon of fuel on board, I get better mileage...

I thought it was something like 0.5 or 0.6 gallon more in the FI tanks.

The carb'd bikes get better mileage than the FI bikes

Yeah -- I noticed that when I owned both the '97 and '03 at the same time. But I didn't know the reason -- thanks for the explanation.

they have an extra gallon of fuel on board, I get better mileage...

I thought it was something like 0.5 or 0.6 gallon more in the FI tanks.

I know the carb'd 'birds have a 5.8 gallon tank, and thought the FI 'birds had like 6.5, but it's 6.3... so yeah, it's 1/2 gallon bigger... My fault...

Mike

I know the carbed 'birds have a 5.8 gallon tank, and thought the FI 'birds had like 6.5, but it's 6.3... so yeah, it's 1/2 gallon bigger... My fault...

Mike

Yeah my manual says carbed 22L and the FI bikes are supposed to be 24L so that is correct :icon_surprised: